Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the easiest way to find out what gears are I have. I bought a '95 Bronco xlt w/ 351w E4OD transmission. I also know it has a borg warner tranfer.THROUGH MY RESEARCH I believe I am going to go with a 4" susp lift (undecided on brand). I am probably going to stick with the 33x12.5 rubber that is currently under the truck. Living in north Florida the majority of my off roading will be in the mud, I do plan on finding somewhere to do some crawling.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
The easiest way to find out what gears you have, is by searching.

Or since you'll bitch and cry because I told you to search, yet again, your truck came stock with 3.55:1 gears.

If you want to regear, the best to go with for 33's would be 4.10 gears, and in which case you'll need a 3.92+ carrier for the TTB44 if you plan on regearing, as well as the install kits. You could even consider 4.56's, because the high OD gear in the E4OD will still leave you with reasonable highway economy, and you'll gain a lot of low end from it.

Though, most people will tell you just to go ahead and do the 6" lift up front, because you'll end up wishing you'd done it later on.

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your response. And no I am not going to bitch about being told to search. How do I find out if previous owner regeared?( any obvious signs or do I just open diff and look). I am just learning about this stuff and appreciate the help. I worded my thread wrong last night but that still did not give you the right to attack me. Again thank you for the input.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Easiest way, spin a tire and count how many times your driveshaft turns. You'll either end up with ~3 turns (3.08s) ~3 1/2 turns (3.55s) ~4 turns (4.10s) ~4 1/2 turns (4.56s) 4 3/4 turns (4.88s) or ~5 turns (5.13's).

I don't even think they make a 5.38 gearset for the d44/8.8, because even at 5.13's, the pinion size gets pretty small. They might though, never considered looking into it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Jack up the rear of the truck. Make a chaulk mark on the very bottom of the drive shaft and a vertical line on the inside sidewall of the tire. Put the truck in neutral. Spin the wheel 1 complete revolution while counting the revolutions of the driveshaft. If the driveshaft spins 3 1/2 times you have 3.55 gears. If it goes 3 3/4 times you have 3.73. Just over 4 and you have 4.10s. and so on and so on.

edit: damn.... you beat me to it

Dave

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet now I know what I am doing tomorrow after I get home from taking advantage of the 2 or 3 inches of rain we got today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts