Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Easy interior redo!!! No 56k...long and lots of pics

18K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  danmick 
#1 ·
I recently redid my interior on my 88...
I went from camel/ tan color to a charcoal and black.

First I did the headliner. I had to take out all of the trim panels for that.

I then removed the headliner and shell. I stripped the fabric from the shell then carefully scraped the old foam off the shell. Be careful around the delicate edges.

Next I laid the fabric out and positioned it the way i wanted it.

Working from the center outward, I spayed adhesive on both the fabric and the shell to get an extra secure bond.

Once the glue dried, I carefully trimmed the excess fabric off the headliner.

With the headliner done, I moved on to the trim panels.
You can see the color and condition of the old ones. The discoloration is from a primer that I tried to use but wouldnt stick properly. I removed the primer and scuffed the surface of the trim panels using 330 grit sand paper.

I used Krylon Fusion paint to repaint the panels. I didnt like how easy i chipped so I removed the paint again and used Rustoleum Paint for Plastic. I like it a lot better. I sprayed 5 or 6 light coats on each panel for a durable finish.
After the trim was done, I focused on the carpet. I ordered new seat tracks for my front seats from Driven Auto Parts. My old ones had broken tabs and wobbled.
I removed everything from the interior and pulled up the carpet. Thank God.....No Rust!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!
Pics of old carpet...

Carpet removed...

I bought new carpet padding from Home Depot and cut it to fit for the cargo are. I also reused the wood/Foil heat shield that was under the original carpet.

I then just laid the new ACC carpeting that I got thru JBG. The carpet is a piece of cak to install.

The only trouble I had was getting my Tuffy Stereo Center Consol installed properly. Not an easy job to do by yourself. I also ran the extended wires for my stereo under the carpet so I could hook it up to my center console.

After the carpet and center consol were done, i replaced the seat belts with charcoal colores ones from wescoperformance.com. After all of the trim panels and headliner were back on I focused on my dash. While I was reinstalling the headliner, i upgraded the dome light. What a difference and soooo easy.

I just repainted the dash with Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabris paint. It did a good job. I didnt like having an all black dash so I used the same material as the headliner to upholter the dash. I like the way it turned out even though I still have to do some final touch ups.

The rest of the leftover fabric was used to redo the fabric inset on the door panels and the door handle.
All in all, redoing your interior is very simple....and tedious. I wish i didn't rush the job quite as much as i did but all in all...I am happy. Now I just have to find a seat cover for the rear seat that i like.

Misc Pics of the truck

Here you see my 45 lb. security system...works great.

I repainted my grill black..

Hope y'all enjoy!!!
Next up.....lift tires and manual hubs to replace these...

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I only paid $169 for the complete carpet set. There was a minor flaw with the carpet that you cant even see.

davids78bronco said:
Aside from the pictures taken at the carwash, everthing else looks good.
I'm not taking into the dirt until I get the hubs converted. I will get better pics then. The truck needed a bath and it gave me a good opportuniy to snap a few pics....I know its cheesy.

Cant wait for my next upgrades. I want to do everything by myself if possible. So far, this site has been invaluable for technical info. Thanks to all who have contributed.

#4 ·
Where did you get that cover for the back? that thing is sweet. ive been wanting to take my back off but i needed something....and i wasnt sure what until now.

please dont tell me that you made it, id instantly give up, hah

#7 ·
they do, it will work for 92-96, but there not supposed to sell it to you, because of the 92-96 having shoulder belts in the rear, and a third brake light that you loose when you go topless, but you can convert over, or just not care like me and do it anyway, i doubt youll ever get caught, they dont know what to look for

#8 ·
ooo, thats sweet, now the only problem is making 600$ to pay for the damned thing : / thats gonna be an arm and a leg for me seeing as i need other craaap

more depressing stuff YAY!

#13 ·
edluvsbronc said:
looks good. i woulda put shag carpet!
I didnt feel like making another run to a carpet store.

88MULE said:
How noisey is that top on the highway? been wanting one but not sure about that.
Its not very noisy at all. The top doesnt flap at all against the supports. Its not as quiet as the hard top but that just makes me turn the stereo up even louder!!

#24 ·
That looks very good. I have a question about your soft top though. How hot does it cause the vehicle to get? I know with Humvees and LMTVs the canvas causes the covered area to get really warm in the sun. I personally wouldn't care but when I get home I'll have three squirts in carseats to worry about.

#26 ·
dude i just did the ACC carpet from JBG... black... it was the biggest PITA EVER!!! by far hardest thing ive ever done lol... im hoping it settles in some this year... what a PITA... no holes cut for any bolts... didnt fit... i even had to trim the shit outta the back one and i lays flat...

I mean seriously it f-in sucked...

got any pics of the carpet redo on the door panels...i need to do that... im gonna try to find some seat rails too...my seats wobble

dc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.