Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a ton of changes to my Bronco recently with the usual intent of improving various things. I put in a 100 mph speedo out of an older truck, I put in a new speedo cable, and I installed a leather wrapped sport steering wheel. My cruise control had never worked anyway, and at my last carb swap I had yanked off all the cc related junk on the manifold. Since I knew I was never going to need or want cc again, I bought the speedo cable without the cruise control box in the middle of it, and I pulled and tossed the connectors for that unit.

Now my horn doesn't work. When I looked at the wiring diagrams, it shows that there are different units for rigs with cruise and without, so instead of just a horn switch, there's some relay that's part of the cc wiring that then activates the horn. :banghead Is there an easy way around this, or am I going to have to do major rewiring? The horn itself works, the horn pad works, but when i push the button all I get is a very quiet sound under the dash, it sounds like either an electrical relay clicking or maybe just a quick spark. I guess I should have known there was some weird way of keeping things straight, there are only the two contacts under the wheel, and with two cruise buttons and the horn on the wheel.... Oh yeah, the speedo doesn't work either. It just picks a speed and stays there. When I pull the cable, it drops to zero. As soon as I drive, it goes to some point and sits. The odometer works fine though.

Man, I really feel like the most long-winded s.o.b. on this forum, my posts always read like novels. :popc1:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't think that the wiring for the horn is routed through the cruise control module, look for power on the yellow wire on the horn relay, the faint clicking sound your hearing under the hood is most likely the sound of the relay attempting to energize the horn(s). At the same relay there should be a yellow/green wire that is the supply wire to the horns, when the horn button is depressed the relay should click and engage it's internal contacts allowing power to pass from the yellow to the yellow/green and activate the horn(s). You should be able to test for power on the yellow wire at all times, and for power on the yellow/green when the horn button is depressed.

Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anybody

Sorry to bring this back up but I just purchased a 79 with this same problem. When the horn button is pushed the relay buzzes and every once in a while I will get a small beep out of the horns

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you straight wire the horn(s) to a 12 volt source does it work? Something in the horn, critters dirt, or just doesn't work would be my guess. Otherwise a voltmeter would be your friend. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
8 year old topic....

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Means he searched and then replied to a post with the same issue. Isnt that encouraged?
Problem is people look to answer the OP's problem not the person who bumped it.

Better off starting your own thread and post the link to the other for reference. But that is just my thinking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts