Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I start cleaning out the backyard a little bit, buddy gave me his old boat when he moved to florida so i figure i'd put it on ebay. not worth much, set the reserve at 125 for the whole thing - boat, motor and trailer.

say in the add i'm not a boat mechanic, got the boat for free, not sure of the year etc. people ask me if there are soft spots, i say no i walk around on it and nothing feels soft to me. they ask if the transom is rotten, i say no. its covered in fiberglass, can't really see it, but when i shake the motor that is heavy as shit, i don't notice it flexing so i think its solid but not a mechanic. clearly state whats wrong with the boat but hey for 125 you can sell the steel and the axle off the trailer and make money.

3 days go buy, people bid the boat up to like 300 bucks. its closing on 400, guy asks me if i'll take 400 for it and i said yeah come pick it up. i cancel the auction like he asks and he says just trust him he'll bring the money when he picks up the boat - i say sweet.

this a-hole drives from conneticut to my place in Toledo to pick this thing up with a full size truck and a tandom axle flat bed. he's going to pull the whole deal on his trailer instead of pulling it. whatever....he shows and he's like first of all buddy its a 66 not a 71. i say i said in the auction i wasn't sure of the year, a guy on ebay said it was a late sixties early seventies so i put 71. then he says the engine is a 60 not a 59, i say no, its a 59 cause i had to cross reference the damn sereal number to get the parts i need. its definately a 59. he says okay so the boats a 66 and the engines a 59, fine, but the boat needs work. i say yeah the boat needs some stuff done to it i said that in the auction. he says well teh transom is COMPLETELY rotten. i say i don't know how you can tell the transom is covered in fiberglass and it feels pretty damn solid to me, how the hell could you tell its rotten?. and he's like well its not, it needs replaced. i don't want the boat:shocked doesn't offer to tell me how he came to any of these conclusions but thats what he says.

a-hole drives ALL the way back to conneticut with his truck and trailer with no boat cause my 40 some year old speed boat needs work like i said it does in the damn post. :drinkbud

buy boat for 400, put maybe 20 bucks plus your time into it and replace the transom and the ignition switch - install the 130.00 in engine parts i have for it for free and the boat should run like a top. instead i'm out 88 dollars to relist it and he's out his gas money for bein' a prick.

·
ladies enjoy his
4,276 Posts
thats ebay for you

i just put a $90 dollar pair of paintball cleats online and set shipping at $15(they are kinda heavy)

i get a message from a potential buyer that says
"ill give you $20 for them shipped right now"

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Yeah I never leave ebay. I'll list stuff locally, then if somebody doesn't buy it I'll put it on ebay. They can either win it on ebay or come buy it and I'll stop the ebay ad when when they give me the money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
next time require a non-refundable deposit (enough to cover expenses) payable within x-hours of end of auction...

...before you give them the pickup address.

b_c

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
First off, don't end auctions early...now if you relist it the potential "real" buyers are gonna say fawk that and won't bid this go around...ending early is just bad business unless it's ended due to local sales to someone with cash in hand.
Second don't try to list the years on it or the motor...if your not 100% sure (which you can't be cause it's a hand me down) Just list it as a boat and say for them not to bid unless they know what it is and are sure they want it.
You could say that you'll try to answer questions via email but I wouldn't post a damn thing on the ad that I wasn't 100% positive on.
Hope that helps with some of the headaches.

That being said, ebay is OK...I've had a few bad experiences too, but it's just like the rest of life...10% of the folks fawking it up for the other 90%....
You play at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
yup you fawked yourself by canceling the auction.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
yeah, you never cancel until the cash is in your hand. you learned the hard way.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
I would just go ahead and relist it. I wouldn't even bother with Craigslist anymore after the sale of my trailer too low a level of scumbag there. Trailer was in there for 1100 (two axle car trailer) I was expecting 900. I would get daily calls from total dipshits that would offer 300 because that's "All they have." or "Because I'm going to have to remove the axle and do some stuff to make it into what I need." I hate dealing with the local scumsuckers we have around here.

As for the boat auction relist it. Inform that a pervious offer fell through and that YOU WILL NOT END THE AUCTION EARLY FOR ANYONE. If it got to 400 last time who knows where it will end up this time.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
thats ebay for you
What's ebay for you? Nickblaze ended the auction early so ebay didn't have crap to do with it other than display it.

I never end stuff early. If they really, really want it than they will make sure they bid whatever it is they want to spend on it.

Plain and simple the guy was an ass for not paying for it. If it was clearly stated in the ad then he should of paid for it and toted it home with him.

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
the only time i ended an auction early i had the guy (a member on here) send me 50 bucks through paypal, the listing fee for my parts bronco, so i knew i'd atleast get that back, then i had no problem ending it, but it didn't have any bidders yet, if it had bidders i wouldnt' have ended it early.

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
Talk to the guys on www.fiberglassics.com

They could tell you the names of the grandchildren of the person who designed the boat 50 yrs ago

1 - 16 of 16 Posts