Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 bronco and my EBRAKE will not work it just goes down but does click like it should. its also kind of hard to push down..

Can anyone help me. thanks..

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
Have you adjusted it at all? The adjuster is underneath the driver's side door.

One mine, I had this problem until I replaced the rear brake cables. Wasn't too hard or expensive, but you do have to remove the drums. One of the cables had stretched and was longer than the other, so no matter how tight I got it, it would only pull on one brake. Just wasn't enough to hold the vehicle in place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if it was like rusted or something i have to remove the back drum? and will adjusting it help could it be sticking?

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
You can check to see if it's sticking by releasing the parking brake completely, blocking the tires, put it in neutral, and jacking up the rear. If the tires spin freely, then it's probably okay. Keep in mind, it won't spin super easy like the fronts will because of the differential, etc, which slows it down.

If the cables have rusted, it'll be hard to push down, and they'll slowly start to stick, which'll leave your rear brakes on all the time, causing you to lose mileage and power.

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
Oh the pedal itself? So even though it *clicks* it comes back up?
How far down can you press the pedal? I'd probably start by spraying down the Ebrake pedal linkage under the dash with WD-40 to make sure nothing's sticking or binding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it doesnt click at all i know it works because i jacked up the back spun them and hit the EBRAKE pedal and it stops but it doesnt click so i am thinking that the park on the ebrake is stuck and i cant see up there becqause there is like a metal thing that i cant remove..

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
How far down does the pedal go? It has to go a few inches before it'll click into place.
If it goes down a reasonable amount and doesn't click into place, it just sounds like something in the parking brake pedal mechanism is broken or not working. Might just have to tear into it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i think it is jjust not clicking because the thing that falls into the spot for it to hold it is stuck.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Is the handle releasing??? a lot of times you have to push it in.Or its just the catch thats sticking a little spray with WD like AB said just might fix it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts