Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco 5.0 auto
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 5.0efi auto. My ecu has been wet and is corroded and rusty even on the inside. Prolly why it wont start. Lol. Where and how do I find a replacement? Is it vin specific or can i swap one from a junk yard? Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I asked about if ODBi has vin information in another thread and am interested in knowing the answer to this as well.

I'm hoping to get Factory Ford parts. I'm not a big fan of aftermarket products well with in reason any way. Filters etc I like to keep em stock.
So how much gains could a '95 5.8L expect to see using Gt40 upper/lower intake, GT40 Heads, California street legal roller cam and some California street legal Headers if there is such a thing?

I don't race the Bronco around and am normally light on the go pedal. There are occations I'd like to get on it though. Getting on the hwy with short on ramps, racing around dirt tracks, passing vehicles on the hwy etc. I guess what I'm really wanting to know is this. Is it possible to gain power in all rpm ranges, maintain or improve fuel economy while still being able to pass a California smog inspection ???

This is a very interesting topic to me. Since '95 was OBDi does that mean the Bronco brain or computer does not share the vin number with the smog test computers as well as tuning etc? If OBDi reports the vin and tuning to the smog analizer then I'm wondering would it be possible to swop out the brain for a tuned brain. There has to be a way to get the electronics tuned by plug and play for improved power and fuel economy as well right? Even if it means changing out the brain box.

Perhaps I should start another thread to discuss this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think the obd1 is vin specific but I'm not sure. Was hoping someone that has done this before could help.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I bought the Cardone ECU for my Bronco right after I got it over 10 years ago.

1990, 351, E4OD

My factory ECU was corroded inside from where capacitors had leaked.

Replacement is still working great.

·
Super Moderator
29,076 Posts
Yo JP,
jermil01 wrote, "In the past I've bought an EEC from these guys before. Good service and fast turn around. Plug in your info and you'll quickly find what you're looking for: Price is pretty reasonable.." @
1995 Ford Bronco 5.8L V8 Gas ECM/PCM
Call Louis at 954-270-0005

"Every computer has a main sticker on the 60-pin connector that identifies the computer and holds the most information about the computer. If you have an EEC in your hands and wonder what it came out of this list is for you. If you are looking for an EEC in a junkyard or swap meets this is for you too. If you just wondered what computers Ford used in which vehicle this is also for you. I would not be upset if you printed this page off for your records, in fact I recommend taking it with you so you have an advantage finding that special EEC.

See more with catch codes by Ryan M @ Ford Fuel Injection » EEC Program Codes

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Info for a 351W HO; 8th digit in your VIN is the engine code.
Check your 86s Vin @ Welcome to VIN Decoding :: provided by vPIC
But EEC source will ask for transmission type, such as automatic C6, or AOD, etc or manual.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
1,729 Posts
The VIN is not stored in the PCM on this vintage vehicle. The key is to get the correct (or compatible) Catch Code for your vehicle. The Ford Engineering number and the Catch Code are listed on the sticker on the PCM connector as shown in the information miesk5 posted.

Reactions: N2 Bronco's

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luckily i got a reman at Auto Zone they matched the numbers to make sure it was the right one. Thanks guys! I appreciate all the help. It still wont start though. It does however act like its supposed to. Injectors are spraying and fuel pump doent run constantly. Got to recheck my timing. Its driving me crazy! Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts