Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a significant difference using a Edelbrock sp2p aluminum intake over the stock. Keep in mind my engine is stock and I will be using the same 2 barrel carburetor. What kind of power difference will I be seeing and is it worth it? Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nobody knows more about these trucks than Trent does. But, I recently put the 3771 Performer intake on my 400 and kept the 2150 carb. I've got a noticeable improvement in torque, though it's not dramatic. I also converted to an HEI ignition at the same time though, so that is probably affecting the overall power picture.

Screamin':toothless

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay thanks. I was going to get an intake for 50 bucks but I guess I should just save my time and money.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
For $50 I'd say go for it. I don't have any dyno comparisons (TMI does though), but I'd imagine at the very least the intake helps the flow of things which isn't bad. Not to mention, you'll be saving a helluva lot of weight. I swear, the stock intake weighs about eleventy billion tons.

Edit...damn, just realized he said SP2P...I was thinking the 2171. Nevermind, I say pass on it then.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The SP2P is a weird intake that was supposed to build torque at very low RPM - Below 3500RPM. The Intake runners are actually much smaller than the factory 2-barrel manifold although the SP2P does come in 2 and 4 barrel versions (The runner size is the same). I've got one and I plan on trying it on my crawler. If you are looking for lots of power (4000+ RPM) Look elsewhere; it flows very poorly. It's designed to increase port velocity at low speeds.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you are going SEFI that is the intake to have. I would totally run it with a 2V carb. Nice & cool & light.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I run the 4bbl sp2p intake on my rebuilt 400, with a 650 edelbrock carb, and have been fairly happy with it. You can tell the lack of flow at high rpm but, hell if your spinning these engines fast your using the wrong engine. Considering the savings in weight, and the fact that aluminum gets rid of heat quicker, I'd still go with those over stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one on my 78, mine has a 600 edelbrock, it has more power down low and it actually gets better mileage now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a SP2P on my 400 with Holley 600 4v carb. Alot better than the stock intake and carb I had on it. I still have the stock cam and timing set:)barf) She will turn about 4500rpm to the floor. Almost gets to 5000rpm for a split second when it downshifts and 4 barrel comes on, lol.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Small runners = higher velocity = more Torque.
When the small runners open up into the cavernous ports in the heads I'm not sure how effective it is.

These are the only benchmarks I could find that included and SP2P (460 version) and the guy didn't list the numbers; just ranked them. #1 is #1 any way you slice it but I wouldn't be shocked if the stock part is a better all-rounder.

Best to Worst, for making TORQUE
Edelbrock SP2P [discontinued]
D2VE Stock
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) [discontinued]
Weiand Stealth
C8SE Stock
Edelbrock Performer RPM
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Holley)
Edelbrock Performer/Edelbrock Streetmaster [discontinued] (TIE)
D1AE Police Interceptor (4300-D carburetor, 735-cfm)
D0AE Cobra Jet (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor)
Blue Thunder Dual-Quad (tested w/ 2xEdelbrock 500-cfm)
Edelbrock Torker II
Edelbrock Victor 460
Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic

Best to Worst, for making HP
Blue Thunder Dual-Quad (tested w/ 2xEdelbrock 500-cfm)
Edelbrock Victor 460
Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic
Edelbrock Torker II
Weiand Stealth
D0AE Cobra Jet (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) SURPRISE!
Edelbrock Performer RPM
D1AE Police Interceptor (4300-D carburetor, 735-cfm)
D2VE Stock
C8SE Stock
Edelbrock Streetmaster [discontinued]
Edelbrock Performer
Edelbrock SP2P [discontinued]
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Q-Jet, tested w/ TQ carburetor) [discontinued]
Offenhauser Dual-Port (Holley)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts