Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So hubby needed to run a couple errands today... Figured I'd drive him 1. Cause haven't run the BKO in about 10 days and 2. id enjoy waiting out in the car more with my sound system ?
So I go out to start her and she gives me the usual cold start bullshit (yes that's still going on but...) But then finally starts and high idle kicks in without me having to feather the gas, which is unusual and only would usually only do that when my throttle cable was stuck because 1. Wasn't seated right in the bracket then 2. Occasionally hung up on my air cleaner. Got it seated right and put a spacer on the air cleaner and things were going well with no more sticking... Till today... Did it again, couldn't get it to kick down, couldn't get it to "unstick" thinking the throttle cable isn't sliding inside the sheath like it should be. Looks original, but aside of that being the suspect... kind of at a loss...
Thoughts?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Get a new one. Easy to replace. Ours stranded us as we were heading home after enjoying an adult beverage....... they never break in the driveway or garage.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right @nra1ifer but does it sound like just a binding up cable to u?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes. Before mine just totally let go, it was fraying and coming apart. I thought mine was a sticking throttle linkage or something..... until the cable broke.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Depends on why. Ive seen many mower cables rust and corrode inside the sheath and seize. not unlikely in salty environments. You can pull each end off and slide the cable to the extreme both ways and check for fraying. Unless its rusted they often fray towards the ends.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I took some of that WD-40 spray lithium and worked my cable back and forth on the bench while spraying that in. Works well. Also heard diesel works well.

I tried replacing my cable but ran into issues with the ball stud at the carb.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't take one @78-79FordMan cause there was nothing visually remarkable about it... But I can take one tomorrow if you'd like.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,394 Posts
Unhook it from the carb and run the throttle by hand.... how strong is your return spring on the carb? Then you and hubby play jentle tug of war taking turns at each end you’ll know if it’s harder to pull one way or both ways.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Whatever you use make sure its not white lithium grease. It will stay tacky and attract dirt. I like wax based chain lube or cable lube. But if your cable is sticky I start with pb blaster until it frees up, blow it out with compressed air, then a shot of the chain lube until it runs out the other end.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unhook it from the carb and run the throttle by hand.... how strong is your return spring on the carb? Then you and hubby play jentle tug of war taking turns at each end you’ll know if it’s harder to pull one way or both ways.
The carb spring is new. Only 2k miles on the carb. Just saying...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Whatever you use make sure its not white lithium grease. It will stay tacky and attract dirt. I like wax based chain lube or cable lube. But if your cable is sticky I start with pb blaster until it frees up, blow it out with compressed air, then a shot of the chain lube until it runs out the other end.
I'm thinking since it's original it might just be more feasible to replace then just try to repair it.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I don't know if this pertains to V8s, but when I changed from a 1V to a 4V on my 300 I had to get a longer throttle cable. Is it possible yours is too short, causing it to bind? Look for sharp bends in the cable. Also, do you have a return spring on the carb?

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,394 Posts
Ya would help one person's normal may not be right . And there could be something u ain't seeing .
My normal would be considered very abnormal by the most abnormal of the non-normal folks!! @BroncMom i put a brand new oem $750 carb on my 86 F350 and a month later had to buy a new spring cuz the made in ( €#|N^ ) one was crap almost hit a car cuz the engine and duallies were over powering the brakes for a few seconds before I hit the ignition switch, almost soils my britches. Not saying yours is but doesn’t hurt to check.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Springs wear out and get weaker over time, if it happens slowly you may not notice the lack of resistance. It will happen faster if the metallurgy is poor.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
You may need a spring in addition to the one that came with the carb on the linkage. Do you have one like the black one from the throttle cable bracket to the linkage?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,948 Posts
Adding to @SRWillis pic, you see that black plastic guide cylinder for the spring near the end of his throttle cable? @BroncMom is yours broken at all? Or binding? I've seen that cause issues on my own bronco. I had to make a new one out of aluminum last year before moab, because mine was jamming up and I broke it. It was an emergency repair, but held up great.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Adding to @SRWillis pic, you see that black plastic guide cylinder for the spring near the end of his throttle cable? @BroncMom is yours broken at all? Or binding? I've seen that cause issues on my own bronco. I had to make a new one out of aluminum last year before moab, because mine was jamming up and I broke it. It was an emergency repair, but held up great.
I have it but not sure where it's binding. Here's the pix that were requested
20200329_160806.jpg

20200329_160753.jpg

20200329_160725.jpg

20200329_160713.jpg

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Springs wear out and get weaker over time, if it happens slowly you may not notice the lack of resistance. It will happen faster if the metallurgy is poor.
Do u think it would wear out in 2 years and 2000 miles?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts