Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have one now or have used one in the past, is it worth getting a break out box for and OBD I. I think I could score one for a fairly reasonable price. What will info can I can from the box that I can't from my scanner? Thanks.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,509 Posts
As an ASE tech and an EFI Ford owner, the EEC IV breakout box is completely indispensible. If the scantool is giving you numbers that are way out of whack, you can hook in the breakout box and check a sensor's voltage. For example, last week we had a 94 F150 5.0 with a hard start/dies out problem. The scantool showed that the ECT was 300+ degrees at all times. Now, is the ECT circuit shorted, or the sensor itself? By hooking in the B/O box, we determined the wiring between the computer and ECT was good, as well as testing the ECT and finding it shorted (it was one of those junk plastic-bodied ones). Another way it comes in handy is if the scantool data shows no anomalies, but you still have a driveability problem. You can hook in and do a "pin voltage" test, where you read the power and ground pins, the sensor input voltage pins, and the actuator output voltage pins. This gives you a good picture of how well the entire system is doing, and helps to determine if the computer is at fault: if all inputs and outputs are good, then the computer is bad.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,509 Posts
So if you're getting a good deal, get it. I'd like to have one myself.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Andy..that's exactly the info I was looking for. sounds like it can't hurt picking one up if I can get a decent deal. Seems like with all the OBD II stuff out the prices on the old OBD I junk has gone way down.

·
Super Moderator
9,665 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,358 Posts
yo, as Andy advised...
And a lot of Ford's PCED/EVTM pin-point testing revolves around the BO Box settings, such as;
"...DTC 84/558: CHECK RESISTANCE OF EVR SOLENOID indicates a failure in the EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) solenoid circuit/Damaged EVR solenoid; Open harness, Shorted harness, Damaged Powertrain Control Module (PCM). ;
Install breakout box, leave PCM disconnected. Measure resistance between Test Pin 33 at the breakout box and EVR circuit at the EVR solenoid vehicle harness connector. Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
No - SERVICE open circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components.RERUN Quick Test.
Yes - GO to DN13.
DN13 CHECK EVR CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO POWER OR GROUND. Key off. EVR solenoid disconnected.
Breakout box installed, PCM disconnected. Measure resistance between Test Pin 33 and Test Pins 37 and 57 at the breakout box. Measure resistance between Test Pin 33 and Test Pin 40, 46 and 60 at the breakout box.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
No - SERVICE short circuit. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT all components. RERUN Quick Test. If DTC is repeated, REPLACE EVR solenoid.
Yes -REPLACE PCM. REMOVE breakout box. RECONNECT EVR solenoid. RERUN Quick Test.."
Source: by Ford via miesk5 at FSB

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,509 Posts
Yup. And that B/O box on eGay: $88 as of one minute ago.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shh..that's the one I'm bidding on..currently the high bidder.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Well:popc1:

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
8 hrs to go.....

·
Super Moderator
25,358 Posts
yo
another E Bay sale
Ford EEC IV 60 Pin Breakout Box OTCStarting bid: US $64.99

But as I mentioned in another thread here this morning, seller has pic of the BOB w/Lid closed and I am wary.. so are cable, jumper wires, pin adapters, terminal sizing tool and instructions included, etc.?

Opt accessories are avail for our E coil connector, etc.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yo

Ford EEC IV Breakout Box OTCStarting bid: US $64.99

But as I mentioned in another thread here this mornng, seller has pic of the BOB w/Lid closed and I am wary.. so is cable included, etc.?
I saw that one too and that is precisely why I didn't bid on it..Although I'm sure he'd provide additional pics if you asked.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Jer, if you win that box, and ever want to sell it.....I'll buy it. :toothless

Seriously....if you ever want to sell it...

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
nice. Ended up being a little more than what i thought it would go for. Didn't know there was still a big demand for those.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice. Ended up being a little more than what i thought it would go for. Didn't know there was still a big demand for those.
Tell me about it..the other two that I bid on must have gone up to $300 or more, I stopped bidding at $285..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts