Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:

I’m swapping a ‘91 EFI 460/ from an E-350 motorhome into my ‘80 Bronco. I will be using the SD system and attempting to keep the supporting hardware minus the air injection system. I want to use my C6 and NP-208 t-case

Is it possible to install a resistor in the MLPS circuit to fool the computer into thinking the trans is in N? I have the circuit identified via my EVTM and found resistance values on FTE. The trans harness was cut upstream of the MLPS so I don’t have the sensor. From what I understand, the only negative will be that the EEC won’t compensate idle speed for loads like AC or electrical. Any other negatives I’m missing?

I cannot find if the EEC takes any input from the transfer case. My EVTM is for a van and doesn’t even show any 4wd circuits. I assume the EEC may modify trans shifting in 4wd but don’t envision it materially affecting how the engine would run. Is that valid? Correct me please.

If anyone has a 460 manual EEC, I’m also open to that.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts
Yo packagerjr,
See this
Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, E4OD
1996 All F-Series and Bronco with E4OD Automatic Transmission Workshop Manual​
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
Transmission Electronic Control System
Electronic System Description
The following pages provide a brief description of each of the sensors and actuators used with the E4OD transmission. The function of each of these components and the associated symptoms and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are also given.
E4OD Automatic Transmission Electronic Control System Component Locator @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series

Of course iggie the non-padded E4OD components.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,235 Posts
Hey there. So i have some info that might help.

The C6 was available through 1996 as an option. My 96 F350 with a 351w had one. The EEC on 96 F350 is still EECIV speed density. My EEC catch code is HOB1.

No, the EEC does not connect to the transfer case in any way.

Gary Lewis, of Gary's Garagemahal bullnose forum has done an SEFI 460 in his 85. Maybe go there and peruse the forums. Gary and the crew there are always kind and happy to help.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yo packagerjr,
See this
Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, E4OD
1996 All F-Series and Bronco with E4OD Automatic Transmission Workshop Manual​
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
Transmission Electronic Control System
Electronic System Description

The following pages provide a brief description of each of the sensors and actuators used with the E4OD transmission. The function of each of these components and the associated symptoms and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are also given.
E4OD Automatic Transmission Electronic Control System Component Locator @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series
View attachment 168843
Of course iggie the non-padded E4OD components.
Thanks Al. Provides some good perspective on sensor relationship to the trans. The EVTM is light in this area.

Hey there. So i have some info that might help.

The C6 was available through 1996 as an option. My 96 F350 with a 351w had one. The EEC on 96 F350 is still EECIV speed density. My EEC catch code is HOB1.

No, the EEC does not connect to the transfer case in any way.

Gary Lewis, of Gary's Garagemahal bullnose forum has done an SEFI 460 in his 85. Maybe go there and peruse the forums. Gary and the crew there are always kind and happy to help.
Maybe the 460 C6/manual trans computers are easier to find then I think.

I have read the first 17 or so pages of that thread. It’s informative but large chunks are lost to rabbit trails. But it is a knowledgeable set of folks and I’m already a member. Thanks.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,235 Posts
Thanks Al. Provides some good perspective on sensor relationship to the trans. The EVTM is light in this area.

Maybe the 460 C6/manual trans computers are easier to find then I think.

I have read the first 17 or so pages of that thread. It’s informative but large chunks are lost to rabbit trails. But it is a knowledgeable set of folks and I’m already a member. Thanks.
Much easier than an MAF 460 EEC... Ive seen one of them. Er, seen where one should have been.

I had a 95 F250 with a 460 and 5 speed. They arent super common, but they are out there. Probably easier to find one from an 87-91 with a c6 though. Ill keep an eye out at the JY.

Reactions: packagerjr

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much easier than an MAF 460 EEC... Ive seen one of them. Er, seen where one should have been.

I had a 95 F250 with a 460 and 5 speed. They arent super common, but they are out there. Probably easier to find one from an 87-91 with a c6 though. Ill keep an eye out at the JY.
Thanks for putting one on your radar. My local JY has two F-250s and I dont hold out much hope either is a 460.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,979 Posts
You are overthinking it. The E4OD computer will run it no problems. Won't even light a CE indication.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are overthinking it. The E4OD computer will run it no problems. Won't even light a CE indication.

Adrianspeeder
Thanks, and I understand. The EVTM and EEC-IV book I have are a little light with respect to how the EEC will act without the trans loop complete. I want to avoid any engine control issues from the lack of trans circuit while I have the harness out and available for modification. Sounds like this won't be a problem.

I am prone to overthinking when unnecessary and underthinking critical items.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts