Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got any ideas? i just blew my original from soakin it and had to throw my spare in...so now i want to prevent another, mainly b/c the part stores want so f**kin much for a new one,

my best attempt to sealin it up was to put RTV silicone around the cover that holds it in

·
Registered
843 Posts
Have you thought of extending the cables and putting it higher in the can somewhere? Maybe build a custom box that mounts to the ceiling or something?

It pretty low profile, you should be able to stick it just about anywhere.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i was wantin to keep it in the original location, but somehow seal that box, i was thinkin of putin a bag around it then put it back in there but idk if the ECU needs to breath or anything, i know one thing these are expensive and ive gone threw a few of em, ive checked all systems for shorts and whatnot they all check out great except for some corrosion, the last one i blew this mornin was full of water so i know its not the electrical doin it, id put it in the cab somewhere but thats alot of wires to cut and extend givin to big of a risk of connection failure

i wish they made a harness you could just plug in and extend the EEC to a safe place inside

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hmmm...if you have two, couldn't use the connector off of the old one a fabricate an extender of some sort?

I would think that it needs to breathe - I'm pretty sure that's why they bother to cut all those holes in the outer casing.

I guess you've got quite the issue...

I think though if you took your time, you could extend it all with out much issue. Maybe draw a diagram or something before cutting.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
i wish they made a harness you could just plug in and extend the EEC to a safe place inside
I'm sure if you're willing to cough up the cash, Fireguy could make you an extension that will be plug and play and you could put it wherever you want.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure if you're willing to cough up the cash, Fireguy could make you an extension that will be plug and play and you could put it wherever you want.
thatd be great if i had the cash but unfortunitly im strapped

im thinkin polarrbearrr might be on to somethin here im gonna see what i can come up with and if i can get this issue resolved but if not then i geuss ill be talkin to fireguy soon......

thanx for the help guys

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well weve been gettin hit hard here the last couple of days by tropical storm fay and i noticed theres water runin down the firewall straight onto the ECU from the outside so im thinkin thats were its gettin in which is why i put some rtv on it

now i have blown one from barryin my truck in the local mud hole, thats the only down fall of havin EFI, water + electronics parts = $$$$

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no thanks i got a donor sittin in my backyard if i need it, im thinkin of just usin the male end from the donor and the female end from the old puter to make an extended harness

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya i know.....i cant take pix, b/c my stupid ass ruined my camera in the middle of my last trans rebuild, theres $200 down the drain.....who knew brake cleaner eats plastic:banghead

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
thatd be great if i had the cash but unfortunitly im strapped
I'd bet an extension is going to be cheaper then a new EEC, and building your own isn't going to be cheap either... plus, that means you're going to have to destroy your other EEC, and you'll still need the female 60pin connector.

Fireguy's harness will be ready to go, with everything color coded and labeled and all that other jazzy shit he does to his custom pieces.

Why don't you give him a call and get a price on one?

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd bet an extension is going to be cheaper then a new EEC, and building your own isn't going to be cheap either... plus, that means you're going to have to destroy your other EEC, and you'll still need the female 60pin connector.

Fireguy's harness will be ready to go, with everything color coded and labeled and all that other jazzy shit he does to his custom pieces.

Why don't you give him a call and get a price on one?
i was just about to ask how much ya think hed make one for......i was lookin for his profile so i could pm him but got side tracked:beer

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
[/QUOTE]who knew brake cleaner eats plastic:banghead[/QUOTE]

I did. Eats aluminum and chrome wheels to if its left on too long. Ask me how I know....:brownbag

·
Registered
11,116 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
who knew brake cleaner eats plastic:banghead[/QUOTE]

I did. Eats aluminum and chrome wheels to if its left on too long. Ask me how I know....:brownbag[/QUOTE]

Oven cleaner eats paint too.

Ask me how I know.............:smokin:

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
who knew brake cleaner eats plastic:banghead
I did. Eats aluminum and chrome wheels to if its left on too long. Ask me how I know....:brownbag[/QUOTE]

Oven cleaner eats paint too.

Ask me how I know.............:smokin:[/QUOTE]

ya specially the "easy off"...it eats the paint and makes it rust....i used to use it to strip paint then id sand and primer.......just a tip if you plan to paint anything soon, easy off oven cleaner makes a great paint stripper:toothless

1 - 20 of 20 Posts