Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2 speed fan out of a 3.8 taurus and I'm having an issue. I have it wired on the low side with 10ga wire, 30amp fuse link to a 30amp relay. For some reason the plastic on the fuse is melting but the fuse is not blowing, any ideas?

Also, I'm going to rewire the fan soon to an ON off ON switch so I can use either the low or high side of the fan. I've read several write ups on here and on other 4x4 sites and it seems that many people are using an 85amp continuous duty relay from Napa, part# st85. I'm no wiring genius by any stretch of the imagination but if the relay is 85amp and the fan can spike at 100amps couldn't that cause a problem?

I also read that someone purchased a 200amp continuous duty relay made for a golf cart from advance auto parts. I went to 3 local ones and none of them had a parts book for me to look it up in and they had no other way to find it. Ideally I'd like to run the 200amp relay, does anyone know if Napa carries it or what the part# is for advance? Thanks

Edit: I found a 200amp one at my local napa part # st36 for $65.00, not sure if that one would work.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
I think someone is giving you bad information. In my Bronco I wired in a BIG high current fan from a Crown Victoria and I used stock Ford realys..the one in the picture below... available at any junk yard for little money or free. I also have my fan wired directly to the A/C through another relay so when I turn it on the fan runs continuously. It's the same relay Ford uses to connect their fans. Why would you need something bigger??? Did the fan gain weight?? J/K The plastic melting on a fuse is probably becasue it is located close to a high heat source like the engine block or maybe the radiator or other high heat spot. I use a 40amp resettable circuit breaker and the start current doesn't blow it. 80 amps is so high it could lead to fires.

I use a 200 amp relay as a dual battery isolator.

Sorry about the lousy picture but you can't miss the realys..they're everywhere.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Here's a better photo of the stock relay and I think you're stuck on buying expensive stuff you don't need. As I said my fan came out of a 2006 Crown Vic but what I forgot to tell you is it was a taxi cab and taxis have the same heavy duty equipment as police cars...including the e fan. So I would say that my fan draws more amps than a Taurus fan...I know it's bigger... and I by-passed the two speeds in favor of a single speed....HIGH... and it cycles on-off so nicely and keeps the engine temp normal all the time. I used #12 and #14 wiring plus a standard 4 pin relay socket and the wiring does not get hot at all. Another tip...mount the e-fan inside of the stock shroud. That moves it closer to the radiator and pulls air in through all the cooling fins of all the cooler, condenser etc that are on the radiator. Seal around the outside of the e-fan shroud...I use pipe insulation, some guys use aluminum foil or make a cover...whatever just seal it.

Here's a link to my installation. The first couple of pages were about my original aftermarket fan which was a total POS. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196882&page=3&highlight=electric+fan

·
Registered
459 Posts
i wonder if you're melting the plastic part of the fuse because you have a high-resistance (loose) connection at the fuse. if so, it would probably be on the "incoming" side of the fuse holder. if it were on the load side, the fuse would probably blow. just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I have a 98 windstar with dual cooling fans, the fuse is 60 amps high, 40 amps low speed.

I don't know what the relays are rated at, but I can't imagine they would be much more than the fuses.

Seems to me that, if you try to put 100 amps through a 40 amp fuse, it will blow. Therefore no need for a 100 amp relay.

I have a 99 crown vic with a single two speed fan.
high speed relay is on a 50 amp maxi fuse
low speed relay is on a 30 amp circuit breaker

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
That stock Ford relay is 60 amp. Even a relay can withstand a high start surge. That's why you use either a Sloblo fuse or a circuit breaker(preferably)

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
I have the 2 speed fan out of a 3.8 taurus and I'm having an issue. I have it wired on the low side with 10ga wire, 30amp fuse link to a 30amp relay. For some reason the plastic on the fuse is melting but the fuse is not blowing, any ideas?

Also, I'm going to rewire the fan soon to an ON off ON switch so I can use either the low or high side of the fan. I've read several write ups on here and on other 4x4 sites and it seems that many people are using an 85amp continuous duty relay from Napa, part# st85. I'm no wiring genius by any stretch of the imagination but if the relay is 85amp and the fan can spike at 100amps couldn't that cause a problem?

I also read that someone purchased a 200amp continuous duty relay made for a golf cart from advance auto parts. I went to 3 local ones and none of them had a parts book for me to look it up in and they had no other way to find it. Ideally I'd like to run the 200amp relay, does anyone know if Napa carries it or what the part# is for advance? Thanks

Edit: I found a 200amp one at my local napa part # st36 for $65.00, not sure if that one would work.
I was dead set on an efan at one time so I did alot of research on it. most stock ford efans are switched by a device called a CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module). Inside are a few relays. 2 are for the Efan; one for low and one for high. All of them are 40 amp bosch relays.So theoretically as long as you don't try to switch the fan from off to high a 40 amp relay for each speed should work.

If you want extra insurance use one of those gray ford relays or one like ryan posted.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I was dead set on an efan at one time so I did alot of research on it. most stock ford efans are switched by a device called a CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module). Inside are a few relays. 2 are for the Efan; one for low and one for high. All of them are 40 amp bosch relays.So theoretically as long as you don't try to switch the fan from off to high a 40 amp relay for each speed should work.

If you want extra insurance use one of those gray ford relays or one like ryan posted.
Your research is a bit outdated. You are correct about the CCRM, but I think that Ford used them for just a few years. Not only did they include the fan relays, they also contained the EEC, and Fuel pump relays. Expensive to replace, and again I think they only used them for a few years. Now there are MANY more years that ford has been using individual relays for their components.

Just for the heck of it, here is a wiring diagram of a CCRM in a 94-95 taurus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts