Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My truck still got problems. I almost have no hair left from pulling it out....

Pulled codes to get #21. KOEO .....KOER I get #12, 13, 21 and more (operator error, forgot to brake on/off and WOT)

I think I'm supposed to find the lowest code first to fix...correct...
well I cleaned the throttle body (had some excessive gunk built up) and cleaned the IBP-IAC (for good measure).

I checked the ECT sensor at both the harness and the sensor it self...seems to be working...4.79 V and approx 26K ohms when sorta cold.....

Symtoms are rough idle (sorta a loping idle) and excessive fuel out the rear (will blacken anything in its path). wont stay running long enough to leave the yard (whether or not I add throttle or not). I'd say its missing, but have yet to pull the plugs to see just how black they must be by now.

Had this problem last week and thought it was fixed. got codes #21, 22, 41.
replaced the o2 & MAP from a spare engine and repaired a small vac. leak...those codes went away for about 45 miles (Cleared the memory). while on a short trip one code returned and now can't seem to locate the cause of code #21. is there more than one problem going on? All I get now is code #11 with the KOEO since the latest attempts to fix it. still runs poorly.

HELP what Am I missing??
:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
How cold is it in SoCal?????????????????????????????????????
4.79v = 0F - 5F
That temp range is an auto fail to the computer.
26K ohms = 80F
So that doesn't match the voltage?

The engine temperature must be greater than 50°F (10°C) to pass the KOEO Self-Test and greater than 180°F (82°C) to pass the KOER Self-Test.

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This AM when I started testing it was about 36-40F outside. engine temp ? had not been started in about 18 hours.
removed the sensor from engine to get a reading on it cause at the time I could not get engine to run...heated it up by blowing hot air on it.

My Haynes says the voltage should be near 5V.
I thought 4.79V was "near 5 volts"

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its now about 58 outside
I'll run another KOEO and try to make the engine run long enough to get to 180 and a KOER
tough to do with out poluting this end of the country.
this just passed a smog check here about 3 months ago with flying colors so to speak.

this test just gave me codes 42 65

re-ran an got 42 65 72 73
and my clothes now smell of fuel.

oh yeah, I just tested the voltage again at the harness at the temp sensor= 4.59V
Charging at 14.14V fairly steady.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
42 No HEGO switching detected always rich

65 The Overdrive Cancel Switch was not cycled between engine "ID Code" and the "Goose Test" in Key On Engine Running Self-Test

72 The MAP sensor output did not change enough during the Dynamic Response Test.

73 The TP sensor did not exceed 25 percent of its rotation during the Dynamic Response Test. A complete wide open throttle must be performed during the Dynamic Response portion of the test.

locopny said:
my clothes now smell of fuel.
I won't ask :brownbag

All these codes shows you just ran a KOER test? Did you? there is a lot of stuff you need to do when the light flashes once.
Floor gas pedal for a second, turn off OD then back on, crank steering wheel, and press brake pedal

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fireguy50 said:
All these codes shows you just ran a KOER test? Did you? there is a lot of stuff you need to do when the light flashes once.
Floor gas pedal for a second, turn off OD then back on, crank steering wheel, and press brake pedal
I also ran a KOEO. got a 51. dropped that code on the way inside? I guess.
I did the brake pedal and the WOT, but I have the 5.8 so no PS deal, and nothing was mentioned about the OD in the directions in Haynes other than the BOO dealio.

in the KOER mode I got the 4 flashes...immediately pressed the brake on/off...then like the instructions say..did the WOT. the instructions said only to turn the wheel if 5.0 and had the PS connector, and do the brake thing if you had E4OD.... but thats Haynes for ya. after which I got a quick flutter flash and started in on the codes.

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fireguy50 said:
I won't ask :brownbag
I'll say it seems to be running rich. my neighbors are asking me what the hell stinks. I just point to the bronco.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
51 = ECT sensor signal is greater than the Self-Test maximum of 4.6 volts.

I'm starting to wonder if you are getting codes becasue you were testing these items earlier. Codes might be from the sensors being unpluged or removed temporarily.
I sugest unplugging the battery to clear the memory completely. then re-run the test, see what comes out.

If code 51 is true, you need a new ECT.

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not had anything unplugged since the last code clearing/battery unhooking.

well prior to after the last test

more clear---? after the test was run...then I unplugged some parts. nothing before that after the code clearing.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if there's fuel leaking out of it. If there is, you have a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this is located on the top of the engine right? just off the side of the fuel rail?

Fireguy50 said:
51 = ECT sensor signal is greater than the Self-Test maximum of 4.6 volts.
If code 51 is true, you need a new ECT.
I will buy one tommorrow after work.. and then update the progress.

Thank you all for the advice. May get this truck running yet. helping me get out of a toyota.... :thumbup :wacko

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Nope you're talking about the ACT, which is under the fuel rail on the drivers side of the lower intake.

The ECT is under the throttle body in that coolant outlet for the heater core.

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:thumbup

I got a new one (ECT) and will check the FPR out also tonight. Just got home so I'll be back in a bit to let ya know what happened(s).

Thanks again.

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update...
installed new ECT. check out the vaccum line on FPR (no fuel present, vaccum present, hose was a beyach to remove). cleared codes. ran the KOEO and KOER tests....

codes... #11 in KOEO
#42 in KOER WTF??????????????????? I replaced that last Friday. new!
will start to check out all that tommorrow after work...probably in the rain. JOY!

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Causes for a KOER 42
Fuel injectors.
HO2S.
Secondary Air Injection (AIR) system.
PCV/Hose.
Vacuum.
CANP.
MAP sensor.
Ignition Coil.

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:beer
got lots to look at.

I'll keep you posted to what I discover. Should only be in the 'Yota one more day. (des tings es tiny)..but sure beats walking to work using a wheelbarrow!

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fireguy50 said:
Causes for a KOER 42
CANP.
WTH is this? Cant locate this in my manual.

PCV was fine
learning how to check injectors
Air system is workign I guess cause it dumps excess air to the atmosphere...but still checking it.

may replace MAP with one extra I got. see if it changes anything
Coil?
will check the o2 wire from the PCM.

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:thumbup should find it now.

·
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
among other problems....it was a FPR and a bad IAT . the throttle body warm up? tube was clogged near the ECT.

guess it wasn't the Computer after all. :chili: :chili: :thumbup :beer

just fixed it tonight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts