Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In swaping my 83 351w to EFI from a donor 89 do I need to swap heads? I would hope not. I just didn't know if they were different.

Did the 89 have the 2" sender hole in the gas tank? Looking at JBG the fuel sending unit is the same 80-90 or something like that.

I am pretty sure my 83 has a "Brain Box". My "brain box" under the dash do I need to run it along with the EFI EEC-IV or pull it and run just the EFI computer? Do any of those wires tie in with my gauges or anything important that will remain after the EFI Swap.

I am basically trading my carb stuff and Ignition for EFI stuff and TFI igntition. I have a list of stuff I need the above is what I am unsure about.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not swaping trans. I am wanting to keep the C6. Just unsure about the heads and valve covers.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Just FYI you could have cut that brain box out and run a Holley carb and a MSD ignition, so ya, you can rip it out for EFI

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
The later heads will be a bit better. Worth swapping is your problem to decide.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
pretty sure your firing order is wrong for the 89 mustang mass air setup.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The donor was an 89 EFI 5.8 Bronco. I decided to pass due to I don't have the knowledge or ability to swap to EFI. Although I want it I know my limits and decided to pass. If anyone is interested I can PM the name of the guy that wanted to trade EFI for Carb Stuff.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
lightnin said:
The donor was an 89 EFI 5.8 Bronco. I decided to pass due to I don't have the knowledge or ability to swap to EFI. Although I want it I know my limits and decided to pass. If anyone is interested I can PM the name of the guy that wanted to trade EFI for Carb Stuff.
Not me, I love my carbed engine :rockon

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
lightnin said:
In swaping my 83 351w to EFI from a donor 89 do I need to swap heads? I would hope not. I just didn't know if they were different.

Did the 89 have the 2" sender hole in the gas tank? Looking at JBG the fuel sending unit is the same 80-90 or something like that.

I am pretty sure my 83 has a "Brain Box". My "brain box" under the dash do I need to run it along with the EFI EEC-IV or pull it and run just the EFI computer? Do any of those wires tie in with my gauges or anything important that will remain after the EFI Swap.

I am basically trading my carb stuff and Ignition for EFI stuff and TFI igntition. I have a list of stuff I need the above is what I am unsure about.
For reference, although I know you decided to pass on this --

You don't need to swap the heads, but you'd benefit by doing so. The 89 will have E7TE heads, which are a decent bit better than the 83 jobs.

I believe the 89 still used the 2" gas tank opening with the dual pumps.

I wouldn't think you'd have to keep your original feedback carb "brain box" if you had one. Like Steve said, I'd swap over to the whole new wiring harness if possible.

jopes said:
pretty sure your firing order is wrong for the 89 mustang mass air setup.
The 351W and the 5.0L HO (Mustang, etc.) have the same 1-7-3 firing order. Only the early and truck 302 are different (1-5-4 firing order). Even if you were doing this swap on a truck with the other firing order using a Mustang computer, it wouldn't really matter. All you have to do is switch two pairs of pins in the connector for the computer, and you will have changed the injector firing order to the right one for the 1-5-4 302. :thumbup In his case, they're both 351W's so it doesn't matter.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Chuck said:
All you have to do is switch two pairs of pins in the connector for the computer, and you will have changed the injector firing order to the right one for the 1-5-4 302. :thumbup In his case, they're both 351W's so it doesn't matter.
You dont even have to do that.
My Bronco ran perfictly with a 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 Ignition firing order and a 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 Injector firing order. Driveability was perfect and it did better on passing emmisins than my moms 96 Accord.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Chuck. That is something to know later on.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
unbolt the efi stuff and put on a carb intake, carb, and your not going to be able to use the tfi dizzy.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
but why would you want to go to carb over efi....

·
Registered
307 Posts
all 302's that are not HO's have a differant firing order than the 351's, yea why would you switch from having efi to a carb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Am thinking bout switching over to carb cause this darn EFI is giving me so much trouble getting it running right. It will come down to either switching it over or sell the truck....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
dgmid61 said:
Am thinking bout switching over to carb cause this darn EFI is giving me so much trouble getting it running right. It will come down to either switching it over or sell the truck....
Read and learn, then thank Fireguy50 since it's his excellent site. :thumbup Having spent far too much time troubleshooting both EFI and carbs, I'll take EFI any day ...

Odds are pretty good whatever is wrong with it is fairly simple. What is it doing/not doing? Have you pulled trouble codes on it yet?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts