Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing an EFI conversion on my Bronco's 400M/C6. Trying to figure out the best and cheapest throttle cable setup for the Mustang style throttle body mounting position (passenger side of engine). So far I've heard the following works:
  1. BC Bronco's sells a throttle cable/kickdown kit for EFI conversion
  2. Lokar throttle cable/kickdown kit (part numbers, anyone?)
  3. F350 gas pedal and cable (what year and what about the kickdown)?
I'm sure there are several people that have done this... please help!

·
Registered
206 Posts
You could get the gas pedal and firewall bracket from a '79 Bronco or F-150, and modify a throttle cable to fit it.
The kickdown is a little more difficult.
I was thinking of using a kick down from an EFI 460 with a C-6.
use the trans bracket and cable from it, then modify it to match your EFI set up.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could get the gas pedal and firewall bracket from a '79 Bronco or F-150, and modify a throttle cable to fit it.
The kickdown is a little more difficult.
I was thinking of using a kick down from an EFI 460 with a C-6.
use the trans bracket and cable from it, then modify it to match your EFI set up.
Thanks for replying. Have you seen the BC Broncos setup? I looked at the installation instructions and it looks like it might work (http://www.bcbroncos.com/efi.pdf). The only weird thing is that the throttle/kickdown cables are routed to cross the engine from the passenger to driver side in front of the manifold and then head back to the firewall. The stock Mustang cables go directly back to the firewall from the passenger side and then cross to the driver side from there. The BC Broncos setup has a special adapter to make it cross the front like that.

I've heard that a 90s F-350's pedal assembly and cables are almost a direct bolt-in for the '78-79 Bronco. That might be a much cheaper option, but you'd still have to contend with the kickdown unless you did what you suggested from the EFI 460 w/C6.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I haven't seen the BC Bronco's set up. They do make nice stuff, I was lookiong at the Lokar kick down cable for the C-6.
I heard the same about the 90's trucks gas peddal, I went and got one from the junk yard, and well it isn't a direct swap.
The tabs will have to bent, and some new holes drilled in the fire wall, and the throttle cable hase to come thru the fire wall.
The '79 gas peddal is already set up for a cable, that is why I planned that route.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I haven't seen the BC Bronco's set up. They do make nice stuff, I was lookiong at the Lokar kick down cable for the C-6.
I heard the same about the 90's trucks gas peddal, I went and got one from the junk yard, and well it isn't a direct swap.
The tabs will have to bent, and some new holes drilled in the fire wall, and the throttle cable hase to come thru the fire wall.
The '79 gas peddal is already set up for a cable, that is why I planned that route.
I haven't looked too closely at the pedal side on the '79, but I do realize there's a cable attaching to the carb right now. I also have no clue what the pedal assembly on a '66-'77 Bronco looks like, so the BC Broncos setup might not work on the pedal side. Thanks for the info regarding the 90's truck pedals... I'll be staying away from that. Lokar may be the only way, I suppose... dug up some part numbers for ya.

Throttle cable kit: Lokar TC-1000HT ($41.95 from Summit)
Kickdown cable kit: Lokar KD-20C6HT ($65.95 from Summit)
EFI bracket: Lokar TCB-40EFI ($15.95 from Summit) - uses stock Mustang style mounting points

It may be worth investigating the BC Broncos setup simply because it would cost $13.87 less. It does mean that the cables will be coming out the front of the engine instead of behind, like a stock 5.0 Mustang, however. I'm going to call them tomorrow to inquire about why the front exit cable mount and whether it could be adapted to '79 Bronco pedal.

BC Broncos parts:
throttle cable kit (includes bracket): 11-81020 ($59.99)
kickdown cable kit: 11-81012 (49.99)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Heck for those prices I would go that route rather than trying to fab something, I know what you mean about routing the cables.
I like trying to make things look stock, or what stock should look like.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
install a manual valve body in the trans :D

I used a crown vic throttle body, cable and pedal assembly on mine, but I had a manual trans at the time.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heck for those prices I would go that route rather than trying to fab something, I know what you mean about routing the cables.
I like trying to make things look stock, or what stock should look like.
You can order the black throttle cable from Lokar and it costs $5 to $6 less. Would match the stock 5.0 EFI throttle cable.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
install a manual valve body in the trans :D

I used a crown vic throttle body, cable and pedal assembly on mine, but I had a manual trans at the time.
Jopes, do you have any idea what the throttle linkage on the Bronco looks like? I can't see anything on my truck because the motor is in the way. I can see that the gas pedal rotates on a bar that is mounted on the inside of the firewall, but beyond that I don't know what's on the outside. Is it at all like the earlier Bronco (66-79)? All I can see from the firewall side is a bar that comes up the driver side with a cable attached to it to control the throttle on the carb. Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
never dicked with a C6 so I am usless on that part of it.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
also your better off shit canning the whole factory pedal assembly and installing one from a EFI engine.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been suggested to me that I look at a Lokar pedal assembly as well.

What vehicles should I look at getting the pedal from? You mentioned Crown Vic... what year and engine?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
any efi engine will work. as long as the cable connects to your throttle body

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buddy's trying to find an old Mustang 5.0 pedal and cable assembly for me. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I dont't if I would dumpster the stock peddal assembly. The way it is attached to the fire wall is quite different than other models/years Ford.
The '78 truck gas peddal assy had a throttle rod. The peddal arm had a threaded rod attached to the carb. The '79 had the cable, quite similar though
the '78 peddal and a hole goint Left to Right, the '79 had the hole going front to back, so the cable would clip into it. The '78 pedal hole going L to R
was for the rod having a 90* bednd in it. The '79 peddal is your best bet because it has the proper ratio of travel. Carb were like 1:1, EFI is like 2:1.
Carb peddal is same distance from pedal to pivot, and pivot to attach point. EFI the dist from pivot to attach is half the dist of pivot to pedal.
This is not real critical, but this will make the throttle feel twitchy and quick to rev.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont't if I would dumpster the stock peddal assembly. The way it is attached to the fire wall is quite different than other models/years Ford.
The '78 truck gas peddal assy had a throttle rod. The peddal arm had a threaded rod attached to the carb. The '79 had the cable, quite similar though
the '78 peddal and a hole goint Left to Right, the '79 had the hole going front to back, so the cable would clip into it. The '78 pedal hole going L to R
was for the rod having a 90* bednd in it. The '79 peddal is your best bet because it has the proper ratio of travel. Carb were like 1:1, EFI is like 2:1.
Carb peddal is same distance from pedal to pivot, and pivot to attach point. EFI the dist from pivot to attach is half the dist of pivot to pedal.
This is not real critical, but this will make the throttle feel twitchy and quick to rev.
I've got an update on this one. The stock pedal on the '79 (has a cable) shares the same plastic clip that is used on late model Ford throttle cables. I tried fitting a late model cable, but as you mentioned, the ratios are different and in my case, required more travel to fully open than my pedal has space to do. So I canned the stock late model throttle cable since it would only open the throttle 70%.

The best solution is definitely the Lokar setup. The cost is identical or less than what you'd pay in a junkyard and they perform flawlessly. I used the shortest throttle cable they had ($40) and was able to use the stock plastic clip on the pedal arm to retain the ball end of the new cable. I fabricated a bracket to retain the pedal side cable end. Lokar also makes a throttle bracket that makes attaching the cables to stock Ford EFI throttle bracket locations a cinch. I had some trouble finding a stock throttle bracket, so it worked well for me ($15). The cable itself comes with a connector that snaps right into the throttle body. It looks much nicer than stock stuff too.

An additional benefit is the kickdown linkage. I have a C6 and the Lokar kickdown fits perfectly as well... however, this cable was around $70. In any case, it works great!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just run a piece of rope thru the firewall and yank on it to go fast!!:toothless
Umm, yes, that's basically what the cable accomplishes. :toothless

Guys, if you've got a '78 or '79... and you love the Bronco like I love mine (if I had to get rid of all my toys... the Bronco is what I'd keep, for sure...) you will inject it and get rid of that POS distributor. Bring it up to date and into the 21st century. I'm running SEQUENTIAL multiport injection (not bank, like factory trucks) and EDIS8 with factory coil packs... it runs AWESOME. It has more torque and throttle response than before and is butter smooth. Can't wait to see what the fuel economy is like now. The process to convert it wasn't bad at all either and took me 2 weeks exactly. I would never swap the 400M engine out for a 460 either. Love the dry manifold setup on the Cleveland/Modified engines. Air charge temperature is a lot better with a dry manifold, resulting in better power.

I've got a video of it running now, but I don't have anywhere to post it up yet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts