Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
470 Posts
Isn't it illegal to do that because your messing around with the emissions or something?

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
In most areas, I'd have to agree with Metalhead... It's getting more and more difficult to do that sort of thing without making it an "offraod use only" vehicle... I would also add that you might wanna check with the local authorities on the legality of doing that. Ya never know... you may be in an area you can get away with it... :shrug

·
Registered
787 Posts
Why are you considering it?
Just curious because FI is a hell of a lot better than a carb.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In my oh humble opinion the only way efi is better than carb is gas milage and the ease of adding a supercharger/turbo setup.You can make more power with a carb.For example....cam changes are easier without it dickin with your computer.And most carb rebuilds are cheaper than one injector.And you don't have to deal with all the sensors.I'm not anti-efi,Both have there advantages and disadvantages.It just seems easier to maintain a carb engine.For me that is.As for the legallity of it,fortunatly I live in a state that has no emmissions.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
in michigan we have no emmisions testing so that is no prob. but why would you ever swap to a carb? i hate mine. go out and warm it up every morning so the choke kicks off before you drive or else it will stall when you hit the gas. you cant just jump in and go. sucks for this -2 degree weather we are having. also i get 10 MPG no mattrer what im doing.
they are great if you plan on doing alot of engine mods. cam and heads and such.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If anybody is serious about an efi-carb swap, I would be more than happy to swap my carb setup and everything needed for an EFI.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She gets warmed up every day before I go anywhere, I don't just hop in and go. I know I don't function well in this -0 weather either. LOL But I agree with spdfrk50, I had a '87 blazer a few years back, and that was in the shop every 6 months or so with fuel injection problems. I grew up with carb's, helped dad rebuild a bunch, the blazer was the FIRST fuel injected vehicle that had been in the family actually, lol. I just feel more comfortable with a carb...but that's just me...

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
that is a choke prob if you can't just hop in and go...i jump in mine, let it idle for maybe 30 secs to get oil worked through and then cruise down the road at 70 without a prob...evn in this -10 weather....i can even start plowing after i just start mine.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
see i can drive fine. but i cant put the pedal to the floor to pull out onto a busy road 4 lane highway m-46 which i have to. it will knock a little but still run. i just dont like it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
everything is fine. everyone with a carb that i know and have ridin with its the same way. i live 1 block from the major road. if i start it up drive to the highway. and try to pull out. its always busy so i have to put my foot to the floor. it will run but knock a little. and wont take off as fast as normal.
my dad said it has been like that since he bought it new.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine has no problem at all. If I put the pedal to the floor, it'll burn all four!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I did a EFI-carb swap on my 88 302 just 3 weeks ago. Was a bitch to do, but was worth it. Got a 93 Jasper 302/AOD tranny/T-Case for $1000 w/10,000 miles & swapped it out. Had to add an ignition box, early model distributor, Lokar TV cable for the tranny kickdown & many other parts for decoration. Truck is much stronger & still gets about 12MPG.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I did a EFI-carb swap on my 88 302 just 3 weeks ago. Was a bitch to do, but was worth it. Got a 93 Jasper 302/AOD tranny/T-Case for $1000 w/10,000 miles & swapped it out. Had to add an ignition box, early model distributor, Lokar TV cable for the tranny kickdown & many other parts for decoration. Truck is much stronger & still gets about 12MPG.

What did you do about a fuel pump? Mechanical? Keep the complete original fuel system?

·
Administrator
22,840 Posts
nice thread revival...this is 4 years old.:doh0715:

·
Registered
980 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
I wouldn't swap EFI to Carb. Why deal with it. EFI's can run at extreme angles, Carbs can't.

But hell people have there reasons.
:beer
D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts