Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my upper intake manifold almost two weeks ago to install a new EGR tube. I have a 96 5.0 where the tube goes from the EGR to the lower intake manifold. Well I ordered the wrong tube (I had the part number off by 1 number) so I had to wait until the correct one came today. I put it on and reinstalled everything else. While I had the intake off I pit in new plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. When I went to start the motor it will turn over but not fire. I tried hooking up cables to my car to see if it needed a little extra juice bit it did the same thing. I'm thinking something is up with the distributor. I marked the side of the distributor and the outside of the hole it goes in before removal and I'm pretty sure I have it lined up the same way it came out. Any ideas as to what else could be wrong? This is the problem with having to wait so long to put it back together...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I pulled my upper intake manifold almost two weeks ago to install a new EGR tube. I have a 96 5.0 where the tube goes from the EGR to the lower intake manifold. Well I ordered the wrong tube (I had the part number off by 1 number) so I had to wait until the correct one came today. I put it on and reinstalled everything else. While I had the intake off I pit in new plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. When I went to start the motor it will turn over but not fire. I tried hooking up cables to my car to see if it needed a little extra juice bit it did the same thing. I'm thinking something is up with the distributor. I marked the side of the distributor and the outside of the hole it goes in before removal and I'm pretty sure I have it lined up the same way it came out. Any ideas as to what else could be wrong? This is the problem with having to wait so long to put it back together...
Are you wires correctly routed on your cap?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wires are routed correctly but where should the one on the cap be? Mine is upside down in the middle on the firewall side of the cap. I think it is upside down...

·
Super Moderator
26,042 Posts
yo,
fyi,
Diagrams for 5.0, 87-93 & 94-96 5.0 HO - INCLUDES 5.8; MIESK5 NOTE; The firing order for 1987-1993 5.0Ls is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. If #7 and #8, or #2 and #4 spark plug wires are routed next to each other at the separation bracket, an induction crossfire condition can occur. & The firing order for 1994 - 96 5.0Ls & all 5.8Ls is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. On these vehicles the #1 and #3, or #5 and #6 spark plug wires must be separated to eliminate the possibility of an induction crossfire. To eliminate the possibility of the coil wire becoming disconnected, route the coil wire under the spark plug wires at the distributor cap. MIESK5 NOTE; Misfiring spark plugs may cause an unburned fuel air mixture to pass through the catalyst, which could cause higher than normal catalyst temperatures. Refer to the following procedure for service details. Check secondary ignition, hook the vehicle up to an engine analyzer and check for a secondary ignition misfire. Source: by Tank92 (Tank) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/5180/32495

·
Registered
106 Posts
you need to find TDC on #1 cylinder and go from there..

check out this thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168214
:lolup This is where you need to start. I would bet your off 180 degrees also...or the wires aren't correct. If you pull a wire and crank it, do you get spark? (connect a spark plug and ground it on some metal and crank the motor). If you getting spark, make sure you wired correctly and that you have initial timing correct. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I follow the write up and mark the distributor the rotor is not facing the #1 spark plug as its marked on the cap. I wired it as if that was number one and it still won't fire. I had it running the first try, very rough and then stalled though. I had the distributor in with the flat part facing the passenger headlight but I was unable to turn it as it was wedged in that way. I did follow the mark on the cap for #1 when wiring though. Should I set the distributor per the instructions and then set plug number one based on the mark on the cap? Please help! Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got it to work by flipping the wiring on the distributor cap. I had the distributor back in correctly but wired upside down. All is good and I did the 6 litre tune up while I was at it

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had the distributor in with the flat part facing the passenger headlight but I was unable to turn it as it was wedged in that way.
the driver side is where you sit when driving, the passenger side is the seat to the right of you. he said point the flat toward the driver headlight :twak:twak:twak

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just saw this. I know he said point it that way but it was facing the passenger side when I pulled it so I went with that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts