Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if its functioning properly does it hinder anything?
mine is long gone, but i still get codes 11 and 33.
i have that egr eliminator that fordfuelijection sells, but i still get codes and check engine light on.
does throwing code 33 do anything? should i just put a egr back on it?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
On a EEC-IV-equipped Ford, removing a properly functioning EGR does NOTHING to increase performance; it can make things a bit worse, in fact. Hell, it's not even used at all @ WOT or idle. You shouldn't be able to tell the difference if everything's working like it's supposed to. The only time they really were worth disabling was when they were controlled by carburetor vacuum signals, and you know how accurate a carburetor is at stoichiometric ratios under all operating conditions. ;)

One more point worth mentioning. EGR is used because the exhaust is considered an inert gas. Introducing a small amount of inert gas to the combustion chamber, during the intake cycle, will reduce the peak temperature of the combustion process. Typically, the magic number is 2000°F, which is the temperature at which burning the atmosphere will create nitrogen oxides. EGR reduces or eliminates most of the nitrogen oxides (also called NoX or noxious gases), and reduces ground-level pollution. So it's a free lunch: a cooler running engine with less air pollution!

As far as your code 33, look at the EVP sensor. If it's the original, I'd replace it simply because they're cheap and it's a 'known Ford problem,' for lack of a better term. Also, check your vacuum lines, from the manifold to the EVR, then to the EGR valve itself. Use a vacuum pump, or just your mouth and a wet thumb; you should be able to tell whether you're leaking through those lines. If those are all checking out okay, see if the EGR valve is holding vacuum. The last possibilities are faulty wiring/harness/connectors, and the EVR.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
The EGR will also prevent your valves from burning up from the extra heat that is now being created.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the egr is gone. completely. along with the sensor. i have the set of resistors that fireguy50 sells on his site to trick the puter into thinking everything is ok.
i figued as much that the egr isnt gonna make any more power, what i'm looking to see is if its hurting anything by not having it, or by it not being hooked up and throwing that code.
btw, i have a lightning c3p1 puter if that matters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts