Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to face the smog nazis. I noticed my EGR was not engaging the plunger, so pulled it apart and find out that the little green plastic tube that (I assume) provides the vacuum to engage the plunger is actually broken, and I have no idea what it's called or where it goes.

The part in question connects to this part of the EGR and goes to ???

Anybody know?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
it goes to that little valve rigt above the egr in that pic

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK makes sense... That's the EVR. Uh... Where is that located? :toothless

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Should be similar to my 1990.

See the EVR (EGR Vacuum Regulator) location at the bottom of the first pic, forward of the TAB & TAD Solenoids. The ECU commands the EVR to direct vacuum to, or vent vacuum from, the EGR causing it to open or close upon command from the ECU. On my truck they are all mounted in a bracket located on the Driver's Side next to the Coil.

See the Green Vacuum Line in the second pic, Vacuum Hose Routing, which shows it going from the EVR to the EGR.

By the way, the sensor bolted to the top of the EGR is the EVP (EGR Valve Postion Sensor) which electrically tells the ECU when and how much the EGR is open.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Seattle, that is really helpful.
I'm guessing the TAB & TAD solenoids are those bits to the left of the ignition coil, so the EVR is this??? :

Is the yellow line heading left (under the red and white wires) the vacuum hose that is going to the EGR?

·
Super Moderator
25,823 Posts
yo,
Maybe you could use this too?

Vacuum Line Routing Diagram in a 86 5.0
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

GL

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
no, its green and comes out under the electrical connector at the bottom solenoid in the picture

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
On my 1990 5.8L (6.7L) EFI,

The TAB (Thermactor Air Bypass) Solenoid has a black vacuum line coming in and a Pink (or faded Pink) vacuum line going out to the TAB Valve located on the driver's side of the engine.

The TAD (Thermactor Air Diverter) Solenoid has a black vacuum line coming in and a Yellow vacuum line going out to the TAD Valve located behind the engine next to the firewall.

The EVR (EGR Vacuum Regulator) has a black vacuum line coming in and a Green vacuum line going out to the EGR.

All three also have a harness connector and a shared black vacuum line which comes from the VRESER (Vacuum Reservoir) which is the coffee can or a plastic reservoir on newer Broncos.

The colored vacuum lines generally enter a conduit together and are routed around the back of the engine to the proper locations on the passenger side of the engine compartment, other than the Yellow TAD which terminates at the TAD Valve at the rear of the engine.

Look closely at miesk5's link to a 1986 Emisions Label, as the one I am showing you is for my 1990. The 1986 Label shows a black vacuum line to the TAD instead of a Yellow line on my 1990.

Thanks, miesk5!!! As always, you are a great help!!!

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
The first picture shows EGR valve and EGR sensor, that vacuum line tube you're pointing to should be off the EGR valve itself, mine is metal and when connected with a plastic vacuum should basically segway along with a few others over to the EGR solenoids near the right inside fender...

* I may have an engine bay video or I can make one and post it today on www.supermotors.net/17406 so you can see exactly how and where every EGR and vacuum line hooks up correctly for the 86 BKO, let me know..

Your 86 EGR solenoids TAD & TAB should be located on the right inside fender area underneath the black plastic "Air Reservior" behind the battery.

The ERG solenoids with mulitple vacuum line attachments,TAD & TAB segway over to the diverter valve thru a 4 way plastic junction block to the EGR sensor, Air Bypass valve just behind the FI plenum at the back and up to the top of the fuel injection plenum. The EGR valve has a diaphram inside which opens and closes but is usually duarable but the EGR sensor/single vacuum line can fail over time electrically etc., affecting the valve opening and closing at proper intervals.

FYI: EGR solenoid OEM # E5TE-9D474 AB closest to the fender is still available thru Niehoff BUT EGR solenoid # E4ZE-9D474-E3A closet in relation to the engine is OBSOLETE both were mfg'd by Lectron for Ford in MI. TAD & TAB, I have a go to guy for hard to get parts who got me that OEM E4ZE-9D474-E3A solenoid for around $115.00 shipped.

A little CRC Elec. cleaner on the solenoid elec. connectors wouldn't hurt to reduce corrosion and improve continuity...ALSO make sure EVERY system plastic vacuum line is in good order, any breaks or cracks will cause poor performance but you can use "rubber vacuum hose" for repair and "bridge" them, I use small tie-wraps as little clamps on each side for a better seal just in case...just snug, don't over tighten or you'll crack etc.

Once you get that sorted out and ready for the Smog Nazi's, go to thread: "I done failed my smog test" and follow ALL the suggestions along with my contribution to help PASS the smog test guaranteed using rubbing alcohol mixed in with the gasoline...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Seattle, miesk, and JK!
I managed to hunt it down and ghetto repair the vacuum line for the time being. It's now engaging the EGR properly when I push the skinny pedal.

JK, I've actually seen your EGR video which covered everything EXCEPT the vacuum line! :toothless
Thanks for that video as it was helpful. I've had the "failed smog test" thread bookmarked for months and will be referring to that quite soon.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Awesome Brother, let us know how the Smog Test turns out because I don't think you'll be dissappointed with results ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I checked all my www.supermotors.net videos and none of them have a good close up shot of where that EGR vacuum line on top of the sensor "ties into the 4 way junction block" over to EGR solenoids just below so I'm thinking about making a video of the Emissions System starting with a number of spare parts I have first then filming the engine bay pointing them out by location along with vacuum lines etc.

:thumbup

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked all my www.supermotors.net videos and none of them have a good close up shot of where that EGR vacuum line on top of the sensor "ties into the 4 way junction block" over to EGR solenoids just below so I'm thinking about making a video of the Emissions System starting with a number of spare parts I have first then filming the engine bay pointing them out by location along with vacuum lines etc.

:thumbup
Sounds like a fair idea. You've got quite a library of videos building up!

Just ordered my Bassani y-pipe, flange adapters, Magnaflow 38019 cat, and some new Hawk superduty brake pads today. Hope to pass this sucker!:rockon

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Thanks, it's the least I can for all the benefits, help and friends I enjoy here you know....sounds like you've got some real nice goodies for your BKO, I'm envious...lol lol....

Let us know how the smog test goes ~ :beer

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts