Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I have to cut the metal spring on my stock Bronco emergency brake cable to mount it on the Eldorado spring bracket? Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone ever installed these?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,742 Posts
Yeah but i didnt use OEM parking brake cables, i used Lokars. Like you guessed, you dont need that spring, but its gonna be a challenge to remove it from the cable w/o damaging the sleeve. Its why i said F it and bought the Lokar cables.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking of using a dremel and taking my time, we shall see. I do see another problem, the stock cable appears to be a tad bit too short to reach the Eldorado caliper spring bracket, I would say that I need the e-brake cable to come out 4'' more, any way of doing this with the stock cable? Thanks+Happy Holidays

Yeah but i didnt use OEM parking brake cables, i used Lokars. Like you guessed, you dont need that spring, but its gonna be a challenge to remove it from the cable w/o damaging the sleeve. Its why i said F it and bought the Lokar cables.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,742 Posts
I cant say for sure. I worked backwards from the calipers, so i didnt have a tensioner, or even the cable from the pedal installed at the time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do have the part number for the exact Lokar kit you purchased? Is there a good thread on here on how to use the Lokars? I noticed the Lokars have a spring on the end where it engages the caliper, is it easy to remove?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How well did it work? That's a clever idea! Do you have it documented on this site?

I have two Right side cables but did not worry about the spring.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know if the 1994 F250 left parking brake cable will bolt on my Bronco? The F250 cable is 64'' vs the stock Bronco 60''.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,742 Posts
The cables that go to the drum brakes are axle specific, not vehicle specific. So the cables that go to a 8.8 are the same whether its for a bronco, or a crew cab long bed F150. The same goes for the 10.25; its the same cable regardless of wheelbase. But, they are not interchangeable with the cables for the 8.8. Ford adjusted for wheelbase by changing the single cable that comes down off the parking brake pedal.

Do have the part number for the exact Lokar kit you purchased? Is there a good thread on here on how to use the Lokars? I noticed the Lokars have a spring on the end where it engages the caliper, is it easy to remove?
I used Lokar EC-80FU. You take the springs off, measure for length, cut the cables, and then do the final install. Its all in the directions included with the cables. So yes, they are designed to be used with or without the return springs. Honestly, super easy to set up.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you saying that the left F250 10.25 parking cable does not bolt into the bronco cable bracket that goes attached to the frame? I swapped a 10.25 in my Bronco and I'm using the Eldorado calipers, I just need to know if the Sterling 10.25 parking cable will mount to the frame parking cable assembly.

The cables that go to the drum brakes are axle specific, not vehicle specific. So the cables that go to a 8.8 are the same whether its for a bronco, or a crew cab long bed F150. The same goes for the 10.25; its the same cable regardless of wheelbase. But, they are not interchangeable with the cables for the 8.8. Ford adjusted for wheelbase by changing the single cable that comes down off the parking brake pedal.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,742 Posts
Oh ok, then yeah youre good to go. its the axle end of the cable thats unique; up at the tensioner bracketry theyre all the same. Ive got a 10.25 in my '96, absolutely everything was plug-n-play.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the trigger on the Lokars EC-80FU. The f250/350 rear left cable did not work. The black protective sleeve is too long. reptillikus, can you post a few pics of how you installed your Lokar cables? Thanks

Oh ok, then yeah youre good to go. its the axle end of the cable thats unique; up at the tensioner bracketry theyre all the same. Ive got a 10.25 in my '96, absolutely everything was plug-n-play.

·
Registered
1982 Bronco XLT Lariat, 351W, C6; 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, AOD
196 Posts
I have never tried this, but is there enough adjustment remaining where the stud passed through the equalizer to allow that much extra cable? If not, maybe you can fabricate a longer adjustment stud that goes through the equalizer to allow that much slack.
TB

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I purchased the lokar cables to avoid the guesswork. It’s odd because the new F250 cable is giving me less slack to attach to the equalizer than the factory cable.

I have never tried this, but is there enough adjustment remaining where the stud passed through the equalizer to allow that much extra cable? If not, maybe you can fabricate a longer adjustment stud that goes through the equalizer to allow that much slack.
TB

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,742 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Little dude has been home from preschool due to a covid scare (thankfully no one here is sick). But! ive got some pics for you.

driver caliper:

passenger caliper:

cables route past inside of shock

clip holding cables to frame. This is actually a suzuki part, but only because i had this laying around (and couldn't find the OEM cable bracket).

tensioner bracket. This is intentionally offset towards the top of the frame, to make room for a set of as-yet-not-built rocksliders.

close up:

So i modified the tensioner, so it would work with the stock cable off the pedal. Basically, i welded a nut to the end of that 5/16 fine thread stud, and then carefully ground a radius into it, so it would work with the OEM retainer for the OEM pedal assy cable. Thus far it seems to work good, altho the truck has maybe 20 miles on it since i "finished" it. Long term, i think i want to modify this to add a return spring, since the 80-91 pedal assy doesnt have a return spring in it like the 92+ pedals do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts