Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the searches, replaced parts suggested, no joy, I don't wanna :whiteflag but its kicking my butt.. any help or other ideas would be appreachiated {sp} I replaced the nose with a 96 I personally think its a ground problem but everything seems to check good.. HELPPPPppp

Vehicle 1989 Bronco XLT, 302, auto & elec everything
Parts Replaced Starter Solenoid, Gauge Cluster

Ok quick history, this is my project Bronco it started off as a stock 89, we replaced the nose with a 96, added lift and so forth, the wireing harness never was removed from the truck when replaced, everything was just hung on the inner fender wells and then hooked back to the spot they were taken off of..

Ok now it's almost done.. we've had it started numerous times but with the bad gas in it we try not and run it to much until we can drain the tank and refill with good stuff..

The gremlin is in the elec somewere, my gauges are all wrong.. ie: gas gauge says over full, alt gauge says not chargeing and goes hard left, checked underhood and everything checks ok with instruments from the shop in other words all seems to check ok as far as volts from the alt to the battery I replaced the solenoid thinking maybe it was there, no joy, I replaced the instru. cluster thinking it was there.. again no joy

Tach works fine, haven't driven it since the upgrade so guessing the speedos fine, oil and temp are also fine.. I know Ford is notorious about there grounds so.. hence me thinking it's a ground somewere that maybe we've over looked...I have forgotten were the grounds actually hook up on the front clip but we don't have any "hanging wires or grounds"

any picks of the grounds or location would be helpful and most assuridly any remarks as to were this gremlin may be hideing would be a great help.. I'm all ears here, can ya give a bro a hand please...I'd like to have this project finished next month and I'm stuck at 80% complete

Thx
James

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'll see if I have a list of grounds for you.
IN the mean time, could it be that you have some wires crossed? It seems that if your guages and stuff are reading backwards, that you may have a reversed polarity issue.
Just a thought
joe

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Here is a list of grounds for a '92 - '96 bronc

I took a look in my Haynes manual.
They list 10 separate grounds... A-J.

A. Starter mounting bolt
B. Right front of Engine compartment near the battery
C. Lower left front of engine
D. Right front of engine compartment on upper radiator support.
E. Left front of engine compartment Upper radiator support
F. Bottom of cowl panel
G. Rear of left fender apron
H. Behind bottom of right cowl panel
I. Left rear corner of cargo area near rear lamp assembly
J. Under center rear of vehicle on rear cross member.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would reccomend getting a wiring diagram and starting at the instrument cluster and see what you have (voltage) on the signal and ground wires. Also, i would check all of your fuses. It may be a ground, but could also be a bad power. Another thing to check would be the voltage drop of you ground wires, you could have a ground that is hooked up but has too much resistance to work properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
roger that, I'll check all this tomorrow, evaluate, address any problems and get the results back to ya's.. thx for the help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine too. I have an '87 that did the exact same thing as yours, fuel was maxxed out and volts were bottomed out. Fuel was a bad sending unit, replaced it and all is well now. Still working on the voltmeter issue.
If your '89 has the large opening fuel sending unit it is still available for around 33.00 at the dealer part# ps-22.
Maybe that'll fix half your problem.:beer
Greg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still working on it, spent a lil time at the ER today and have a corneal abrasion so may be a couple days before I can get back to it, didn't want to leave you guys hanging I am still on it..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok me and a friend went over all the grounds through out the truck, All checked out good except one that I questioned and will address this afternoon, it showed good but seemed a lil loose so I'll reattach it more securely but it did nothing for the gauges. guess I'll try a few more things.. still got same problem. checking sending unit today .. any other ideas?

ALL CHECKED OK
A. Starter mounting bolt
B. Right front of Engine compartment near the battery
C. Lower left front of engine
D. Right front of engine compartment on upper radiator support.
E. Left front of engine compartment Upper radiator support
F. Bottom of cowl panel "gotta make this more secure"
G. Rear of left fender apron
H. Behind bottom of right cowl panel
I. Left rear corner of cargo area near rear lamp assembly
J. Under center rear of vehicle on rear cross member.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Sorry, I'm out of suggestions. UNless you have an additional list of things that are not working, (possibly due to a common ground) then you may have individual problems, as suggested above.
Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a couple more things to trybut you may be right.. they could have went out individually..I'll just be glad when I get the bugs worked out.. I'm ready for some wheel'n and mud.. I'm still after it tho and will update when the prognosis when I find it.. thx guys for your help much appreciated..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts