Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
A beer and a gun
2,077 Posts
OK, so we're all aware that the electric shift BW1356 setup sucks. A common problem seems to be that the travel stop breaks when it returns to 2WD, causing it to move just out of range so that it won't engage 4WD again. I've fixed mine twice so far, and I took some pics today when I did it.
Pics @ 1992 Ford Bronco BW1356 electric motor fix pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

When you pull the motor from the transfer case, here's what you'll see:

The triangle-shaped cam points to the engaged gear.

When you pull the cap off the end of the motor and pull the metal sleeve off, you'll see this:

When you pull that out of there, the brushes and springs will pop out. Be sure not to lose the springs.

You'll need a tamper-proof Torx 20 bit to remove the three screws on the plate that covers this:

Before you take that cover off, take a look at the alignment marks so that you can put it back together correctly.

That white circuit board is on the back of the gear that turns the cam in the transfer case. When you remove it, it'll look like this:

That triangle in there is what the travel stop hits.

Here's a broken travel stop. From the factory it's a hard white piece of plastic or nylon. Replace it with a short length of 1/4" fuel hose.

Here are the brushes and springs I was talking about. When reinstalling the motor, keep these pushed in with a pick or small screwdriver, then slip the arbor in. Rotate it counter-clockwise to screw it in until it's all the way in:

Once you've got that arbor in there, rotate it until the wheel is back in the 2WD position. You can mount it up to the transfer case to see how it is.

This is the cap to the motor itself. Make sure that you get that notch on the right side matched up to the metal sleeve or you'll never get the long bolts back in.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Very nice work......anyone who has a e-shift 1356.....its a good idea to keep this thread handy!

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Hmm Cool. Wonder if that could be way I no longer get 4lo... Course I get no clicks or anything anymore.. 4hi still works though.

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Niiiice. :thumbup Gotta bookmark this 'un. :thumbup

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good post. I had to do the same thing in the spring. While I was in there I also cleaned the brushes off. It's been working fine ever since.
I got the information from the links below (I've noticed that some of them don't work anymore, hoping that's just temporary) and some other posts. Having some of the large size pictures in this post would've cleared up some confusion I had.

I would agree that it is important to mark the original positions of the parts before removing. I probably wasted at least an hour of trial and error on getting everything back into the correct positions til it would work.

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/web/pages/tcase.html

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TCaseshiftmotor.htm

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4418&highlight=hit+AND+transfer+case

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5124&highlight=electric+t-case

·
A beer and a gun
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well then, thanks for stealing my thunder :)

Anyway, to give credit where it is due, I got some ideas from the first link you posted. That one has a lot of info, but the way it's written (just a bunch of posts, like, uh, FSB) is pretty confusing. If your module and travel stop are OK, then that one would be a good read, but this writeup is an easy fix for a common problem.

And BTW, if anybody would like more pictures of this procedure, let me know and I can take some.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
hye how do you remove the motor from the t-case? i removed the 3 bolts, is that it? i cant get it to budge

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
ok i got the motor off the t-case but its still conected by wires i got the clip undone but theres other wires how do i get them off?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
after i cut them what do you think is the best way to put them back? wire nut? solder? or what?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
ok i just went a bought a torx20 tamper proof bit and i got on screw out and then the bit broke off in the other any sugesting on how to get the screw out with the bit broken in it? does driling it out adn tapping it seem like a good idea? or r there part insde that i could potenaly screw up?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
sorry bout that, so you have any suggestions to my last question

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
ok well i tested the motor today and it works, i put it back on the t-case but now nothing happens when i press the 4x4 button it used to sounds like the module was clicking and maybe somthing under the truck was making noise

·
A beer and a gun
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you take the motor apart and check to see if the travel stop is intact? If it isn't, you can still apply direct current to the motor and make it turn, but when you plug it in the module will sense that it is out-of-range and will not turn it. If you haven't already, open it up and take a look.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
ok but its still not clicking when i press the button and it used to what does that mean?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts