Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question how long should it take for an electric choke to open on a 4180c? I measured the resistance from the connection on the choke to the carburetor(and also to a ground) and it was 175-190 ohms. Is this normal? The choke is only opening about a quarter inch after about 10 mins of running. I was just wondering if this was normal. The truck smokes while idling at startup. i pulled the plugs, all the passenger side were covered in carbon/soot and all the driver side were covered in carbon/soot as well as oil. These plugs have only been on here for less than 50 miles. I put them in before i did a carb rebuild. Although i have done a little bit of cranking and running in my driveway but no more then a quarter tank of gas burnt total. Ive read the posts on tuning the carb and i am pretty sure that i have done it correctly. but anyways, any info is appreciated. sorry for the jumbled sentences i'm definitely not an english major.
Also if i have missed any info that you guys might need just ask.
Charles

·
Registered
129 Posts
I maybe wrong so don't put money on me. Check the connecting rod from the flap to the electric choke to see if it got twisted or pinched. Next you could loosen the three flat head screws that hold down the choke and move the choke left or right. The spring inside maybe opening but its not positioned far enough.
Hope this helps. I just rebuild one last week and will mount it soon.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Also, check the power connection on the back of the alternator. I had alot of trouble with mine on the 84 like you're having. The choke should open in a few minutes, once the engine warms up. Don't know how much monger that would take in Alaska vs Texas, however. I carried a small stick to jam the choke open until I fixxed the connection.JSM84

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe that the plastic housing that has the coil is notched so that it can only go on the choke one way so twisting won't work. I'm pretty sure that it was set up like that. Thanks anyways

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok jsm84, i'll give that a look tomorrow as well as checking out the choke a little closer to look for anything that might be catching.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
IF you have a Haynes manual, look up the wiring diagram. It's a complicated mess, with a relay, that should give 7v to the elec. choke. On my 84, the wiring runs from the alternator, around the back of the engine bay to the other side to the relay, then back around to the carb. It's close to 20 ft of wiring - not one of Ford's better engineering feats. The original carb leaked gas all over the top of the intake, and I had trouble with the elec choke on the reman unit I installed. With the choke partially closed, it would flood really bad and blow black smoke out the exhaust pipes. I think the connection on the back of the alt was just a simple blade that kept falling out, and I replaced it with a bolt-on connector. Idon't recall measuring the resistance, but it sounds like your's is awful high? IF you can locate the relay, check power and resistance in the wiring before and after it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i checked the power before the choke and it was 12-14 volts but i didn't get a chance to check it after the choke but i will definitely look into the wiring.. to me the wiring is less complicated than the birds nest of vacuum lines. thanks for the info

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
Did you check the position of the choke, you can adjust it some on my Holley. Loosen the 3 scrws and turn it 1/4 ".

·
Registered
712 Posts
i checked the power before the choke and it was 12-14 volts but i didn't get a chance to check it after the choke but i will definitely look into the wiring.. to me the wiring is less complicated than the birds nest of vacuum lines. thanks for the info
I clearly remember something about straight-up alternator voltage being too much for some stock chokes, apparently those have a resistor wired inline before them to drop the voltage to 7V or so. Dunno if that's your problem, but tis something to look into. Worst case you can always go manual choke, the kit for trucks (longer cable and housing) is like $12 at the parts store, $10 for the cars kit, tis very easy to install and your carb will do exactly what you tell it when you tell it - had a manual choke on my Chevy, then put one in my F150, then installed the electric choke the Edelbrock came with, and now I'm back to manual choke again - it always starts, and I can kick in the high idle any time I feel the need to (such as on very cold days with lots of snow and freezing wind, like last night).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts