Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever rigged up an electric compressor for their OBA instead of using a York Compressor?
Maybe something like a Viair or MaxAir compressor and then used a larger tank for holding air... Not the 2 Gallon ones but like 5 Gallon ones or even bigger?

Just trying to see all of the different alternatives before I start to buy crap for OBA....:popc1:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
redwagon said:
yes I have a quickair 2 with a three gallon tank installed on mine.
Does it seem to work pretty well for you? I'm trying to look at all alternatives to the york OBA.

·
Administrator
22,849 Posts
to be honest hasnt impessed me to much...takes about 3 1/2 minutes to fill the tank and one tank will refill my 35 in tire from about 13 pounds to 30 pounds.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it sounds like it's a little on the slow side....I'll have to keep shopping around to see if there are any decent electric ones that can fill tires up fairly well.
Thanks for the info redwagon!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I've run a york for years using the Broncoair bracket and pully. IMO it's the best option. Since I've put a ram assist set up on my rig with a large reservoir the York, in that location just doesn't fit. I also rarely drive the rig on the street and even more rarely change the tire pressure. So I opted to pull the York, but I still wanted some type of air compressor as a "just in case" item.

After a bit of research I found this at 4Wheel Parts.

I got one when they first came out so and they were a little cheaper then ($39.99) but not to costly now($69.00).

It will pump a 38.5/14.5/16.5 Super Swamper SX from 15psi to 28psi in about 2 minets. IMO that's pretty good. It's only about 30 seconds slower then the York set up would.

I'm actually so impressed with the power of this little thing I'm actually considering hard mounting it and plumbing it into the air system I originally had the York tied into.

4WP part # GTAMV50

Another very good option is a co2 tank like the one's from Power Tank.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,998 Posts
why wouldn't you run the york? if i was going to run electric, however, this is the one i would have picked...
http://www.extremeoutback.com/index.cgi?cart_id=6810913.3084&pid=30

if you're getting an electric, make sure it's continuous duty or you're gonna wait forever for it to recycle.

dogonmut's portable seems like the deal of all deals, though. i might just have to pick one of those suckers up, how can you go wrong for that price?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Million$dragon said:
Has anyone ever rigged up an electric compressor for their OBA instead of using a York Compressor?
A few years back I had a customer that wanted an electric compresor for OBA. I ended up getting him one of the Viair ones, can't remember what model; i know it was one of the higher end ones, and it cost around $500 CDN. He was happy, but I was dissapointed.

I haven't installed my York yet, but my Sanden is about 4 times faster than my buddy's ARB compressor, and at least twice as fast as most gas stations.

Also remember that very few electric compressor's are continuous duty, which means they need time to cool down, typically something like 10 minute run time = about a 20-30 minute cool down time. I've had three cases where I needed 45 minutes worth of air, and my OBA did the job; electric would have taken forever.

When I was building my OBA, I looked at all possible options, but I decided for an unlimited source of air, and the cheapest source too; belt driven. Of course, if the engine dies, I'm screwed! :histerica

·
Banned
10,964 Posts
I have several of these used OE Land Rover compressors that still work well. They're sealed, so you can mount them low with a plumbed intake, & let them run when you're in deep water. They're small enough to stick almost anywhere, so you can run several for faster refill, and they're built to run at least 15 minutes before overheating. They have a built-in thermal switch, but doesn't directly interrupt the motor, so you don't have to wire it in if you don't want. Or you can wire in a bypass for the few times when you want to make it run even if it's hot.

I also have Dunlop valve blocks that can run on 12V or 5V (logic) & Dunlop air tanks, & a few compressor/drier/valve block systems.

. .

Post here if you have any technical questions about them; e-mail me thru my profile if you want one.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See now this is more like it! Now we've got some options and some things to look into! I'll have to do some homework on these new ones. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
steve are you selling out ford and jumping on the land rover band waggon? seems you've been touting their stuff recently.
but what is the CFM on those little L R compressors? noise level? you said the thermal protect circiut (damn i need to learen to spell) is just an output signal? it doesn't directly shut down the motor. so you could run it to a warning light or something?

ok just firgured out the wiring diagram. that over ride is tricky for someone who doesn't like elecricity.

·
Banned
10,964 Posts
Dude, I worked at a LR dealership for 2 years. I have a bunch of that junk, too! :toothless Haven't you ever noticed the "Spare Land Rover Parts" album on my sig link page?

I actually have a couple of larger ones from Disco2s, but I haven't tested them yet to make sure they work, so I didn't want to offer them yet.

I have no idea about the CFM of the Range Rover compressor in the photo above, but you could probably calculate a close estimate from the specs in the caption. They're fairly quiet if you mount them right. Yes, you could route it to a light instead.

I just looked over that diagram, & I don't know what I was smoking when I drew it, but it must've been some good $#!+ because the override portion won't work. I'll try to remember to fix it someday...

******EDIT******
I guess today is someday. :shrug :D

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,998 Posts
i just went to the 4wp website and read about the above air compressor that dogonmut posted. they also list a dual cylinder gta model for $179 that they say is 50% faster than the gtamv50 (gtaQ-89), but the description is thoroughly confusing and seems to contradict that:

GTAMV50
This sturdy air compressor is perfect for Trucks, SUVs, RVs and other full-size vehicles and is designed for everyday use, from blowing up your kids' soccer ball to filling up a flat tire. The MV-50's 12-volts of power and 150 PSI capacity is comparable to other higher-priced compressors.

Single Compressor Details:

0 – 35 PSI in 2 minutes

12 volt, Max 150 PSI, Flow up to 72 lpm (liters per minute) – 2.543 CFM Max Amps 30 Individual weight: 8.8 lbs. 10 ft. power cord to reach around the vehicle, Detachable hose 16 ft long, Built in pressure gauge, Needle adapters includedAlligator clips (color coded) to hook directly to battery,Bonus carrying case.

The Q-89 is a 12 Volt Hi-Pressure Portable Air Compressor. Q-89 inflates tires 50% faster than the MV50. It may inflate a 35 x 12.5 x 15 size tire from 10 PSI to 35 PSI in an average of 4 minutes. This unit is equipped with 16ft. coil hose with a tire gauge attached to the hose, extended power cord, and soft nylon carrying bag.

Specifications:

Motor: 12 Volt DC
Maximum Power: 47 Amps
Maximum Working Pressure: 120 PSI
Direct Drive, Reciprocating Engine
Maximum Recommended Continuous Operating Time: 40 minutes
Recommended on/off cycle time: 20/30 minutes

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It seems like viair has some pretty good compressors for those who don't want one belted into the engine that's powered off of the engine. The Viair 450c is the one that I have my eye on. Connect that baby up to a tank and we should be flying. Now I'll need to decide if I mount it under the hood or along side the frame rail. I'm thinking about dumping the stock jack under the hood and mounting it in it's place. Real close to the battery to make wiring easy and then maybe put the tank along side the frame rail.
Because they say to mount the tank lower than the compressor to keep moisture running down hill.
I'll have to watch ebay for a good deal on one of those.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts