Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to anyone who has installed a Black Magic or knows a reasonable amount about them I submit 2 questions (truck is 1990 bronco 5.8L E4OD). First of all it has this cheezy temperature probe thing hanging out of the control box that you are supposed to stick in the radiator. Can I hook this up to an electronic coolant temperature sending unit, like the one that hooks up to the stock temp gauge? I would much prefer some sort of solid hook up like this over the goofy probe they provide. Second which wire do I hook up for the A/C relay, I see a 2 wire connector going into the top of the A/C, I assume its one of them. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't know if that fan will work well for a bronco, it seems kind of small. I just ordered the flex-a-lite 295 for mine thats what they recomend for the FSB. i should be getting it some time this week and I let you know how it hooks up.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
I have a 4200 CFM fan on an oversized radiator (3 core A/C radiator , no A/C on my truck). My fan doesn't even come on unless I am setting in traffic or at a light for a while. As far as a radiator probe goes, if it is installed correctly they work just fine. It needs to be close to the top hose and outside of the shroud with a small shield infront of it to keep air flow off it. They usually come with the shield but some people don't bother installing it. I have the probe in mine and have never had a problem.

Also, hook up either two override switches or one that has 3 positions to give you manual control. one direction would be forced OFF (for water mud running), CENTER normal (temp probe control), the other direction FORCED ON (for when you think the controller doesn't know what it is doing and you get nervous :) ).

I believe you will find one of the A/C compressor wires is +12V when on (blue, I believe), and the other is a ground (black).

Also, I don't believe you can cut the probe off and hook it to a sender unit. The probe is a heat operated switch with ON/OFF conditions only. A sender is a heat operted variable resistor.

Good luck,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts