Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 78 bronco has a 71 lincoln 460 punched out to 466, I have the stock radiator and presently have a flexfan in place. I am dropping the flexfan idea and going with an electric fan to save HP and have the ability to shut the fan down. My question is, should I go with a dual fan or a big single? Is a 14" fan big enough? Thats the biggest I could find on ebay. Are the ones on ebay not very good? What are the best ones to get? I know it's only a fan but it's still important and I told myself a long time ago, don't go cheap on your parts, get quality stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I ahve had much better luck with the large 7-blade HD fan and a thermal fan clutch with a good fan shroud...what comes factory in that hyear 2x4 truck with towing package or Camper spcial and 460, for example.

The thermally operated fan clutch lets the fan practically free-wheel unless the temp climbs...so its not putting much load on the engine anywya unless its needed..which is same situation as with an electric setup really.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've had 2 seperate trucks with failed fan clutches in the past, it seems that the simplicity of the electric fan is a better fit for me, plus, I can shut it down if mud makes it's way into the engine bay. I have also seen a truck do a nosedive and push the radiator just far enough into the fan but he needed to keep his momentum so he couldn't shut the truck down, the fan ripped the shroud and radiator pretty good. I have been told that an electric fan is the way to go, but if I can't find a good fit then I will go with the stock setup like you said.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
ahh..mud truck. In that case you defintely need to go electic so you can turn it off. I have had a few raddys with nice round cutout in middle that prove yr point there.:thumbup

The Tauras fans seem tp be the most popular electric option..they move a huge amount of air compared to most of the aftermarket stuff, ven the more expensive like Spal, and you can junkyard 'em for cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Dual tortis for me , but you better get a killer alternator........

Also got this, which is a soft start fan controller. Those fans suck 60 amps startup EACH!! This thing only runs the fans as hard as needed to keep temps down.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a 79 Bronco with a 460 out of a 77 lincoln and it runs a little warm with a 16" fan on the inside and 2 10" fans on the outside. I did it for the same reason as you, but with running hot i'm not sure if it's a good idea anymore

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Dual tortis for me , but you better get a killer alternator........

Also got this, which is a soft start fan controller. Those fans suck 60 amps startup EACH!! This thing only runs the fans as hard as needed to keep temps down.
Wow..I can even read the small print on the wires. Thanks, Ox!
:goodfinge

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahh..mud truck. In that case you defintely need to go electic so you can turn it off. I have had a few raddys with nice round cutout in middle that prove yr point there.:thumbup

The Tauras fans seem tp be the most popular electric option..they move a huge amount of air compared to most of the aftermarket stuff, ven the more expensive like Spal, and you can junkyard 'em for cheap.
I saw a tauras fan on there, I'll have to look that one over.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OX1:

What size alternator do you have? Do you think a single fan would be enough?

·
Registered
453 Posts
i used a single from a lincoln ltd i think it was. it pushes as much as the 2 i had

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
OX1:

What size alternator do you have? Do you think a single fan would be enough?

I have stock 130 amp 3rd gen. It's fine because that fan controller is soft start. The taurus fans draw 20 amps on high, so that is 40 amps max for both. The big problem would be start up of both fans @ 120 amps if you ever did that.

Anyway, I don't know if one fan would be enough (I'd guess no, especially mudding after you get some gunk in the radiator, which always happens to me mudding). If I was only going to run one fan, I would find a 98 MK VIII fan. The last year of the MKVIII fan had the highest flowing fan (fan speed was faster than earlier years). The MKVIII fan is larger than the taurus fan. I used the taurus fans as 2 of them is better than one MK VIII and taurus fans are cheap and all over if I need spare.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Wow..I can even read the small print on the wires. Thanks, Ox!
:goodfinge
You can see it, but YOU can't read it.......... :twak

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have stock 130 amp 3rd gen. It's fine because that fan controller is soft start. The taurus fans draw 20 amps on high, so that is 40 amps max for both. The big problem would be start up of both fans @ 120 amps if you ever did that.

Anyway, I don't know if one fan would be enough (I'd guess no, especially mudding after you get some gunk in the radiator, which always happens to me mudding). If I was only going to run one fan, I would find a 98 MK VIII fan. The last year of the MKVIII fan had the highest flowing fan (fan speed was faster than earlier years). The MKVIII fan is larger than the taurus fan. I used the taurus fans as 2 of them is better than one MK VIII and taurus fans are cheap and all over if I need spare.
Mark 8 fan works like a champ on my 400. FYI, these fans were not just installed on mark 8's. The T-bird is the same chassis as the Mark 8 and.....the fan is identical!

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Mark 8 fan works like a champ on my 400. FYI, these fans were not just installed on mark 8's. The T-bird is the same chassis as the Mark 8 and.....the fan is identical!
It looks the same, but not all of them had the same PN.
I don't know if the bird got the latest revision, sometime in 97/98??

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This may sound stupid but nobody ever talks about it, but, I've seen advertisements for fans that push air and fans that pull, which one should I be lookinf for?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Reverse the polarity of the motor to make it a puller or pusher.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, i know how to get the fan to reverse it's action, I just wanted to know which method was better for my application. It's an off road vehicle that sees a lot of mud romps, should I have a puller or a pusher?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It looks the same, but not all of them had the same PN.
I don't know if the bird got the latest revision, sometime in 97/98??
I doubt it....Ford stopped making that body style T-bird in '96. I dunno why the difference in part #, I can only speculate....

I can say that from personal experience that $15 bone yard fans from both mark 8's and t-bird's cool VERY WELL on my Bronco. I have no issues idling or driving with the AC on in 100+ degree Texas heat. The only issue I have had is that a bone yard fan is usually WTFO by the time I pull it. As a result, I have gone through 3 fans in the last couple years:banghead

Whoever said the 130 amp alternator is a must is DEAD RIGHT! FWIW, you can pull these from a Taurus at the bone yard. IMO if you get an OEM ford unit with 100K on it....it is still better than a parts store rebuild.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Ox - where did you get the soft start fan relay? I need to change mine.
From this guy.

http://www.dccontrol.com/introfh0.htm

Kind of hard to get a hold of, but makes a great product.

I've heard recently he will not reply to you unless you have a 10 post count on one of 3 different stang boards. Some say he is tired of tire kickers (isnt that part of the business??? :doh0715:). May be some truth to this as his main site goes to this.

http://www.dccontrol.com/

I like the product enough that I woud go through the hoops to get another one if I needed fan controller.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts