Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my quest for better gas mileage, I am looking at many options. And im wondering about installing a electric fan on my 5.0. It seems like the clutch fan is much more reliable. Does it really increase power and fuel mileage that much?
Thanks-

·
Registered
73 Posts
iv never doen it so i dont know exact facts but as far as i knew yes you will see a slight increase in power due to less strain on the engine. not too sure about hp but i imagine you would see an increase there too for the same reason

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From how I see it, the clutch fan is not too bad. And its not like it runs all the time. Plus, it probably cools much better and the electric fan has a lot of wiring and more stuff to go wrong, the summers we get in the Washington DC area are hot!! But, maybe if theyres a better, more efficient, fan-clutch combo.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
You MUST upgrade to the 3g alternator if you are going to do this, The money spent is not worth the power you will get. Ive done electric fans to my hotrod p/u truck and to my 2wd Bronco 2 but NOT to my big Bronco. Auxillary trans coolers like the fulltime air pulling through the radiator. Spend the money on the 160 amp 3g alt set-up from RJM if you havent already.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I do. I think I will stick with my clutch fan. Is there a better clutch fan out there that will fit that is more efficient than the stock one?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I don't know how the stock clutch works, whether it just goes by engine rpms. But, I know on more modern cars, the clutch has a thermostat inside that tells it when to turn on and off.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
im doing a fan swap. i just put my mechanical fan back on the other day and it feels weak. although there is a lot of stuff going on.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
I'm not saying that you will nor realize more power by putting an electric fan on a vehicle, At least more power til the thing kicks on, I'm saying that the stock fan system is much more dependable and takes nothing from the electrical system, just from the crank. Going FROM an electrical fan TO a stock fan is very noticable...... when you are offroad and the electric fan or its system fails, yer screwed ! When a clutch type stocker fails I think it locks and keeps spinning.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not enough to make a difference.Unless you are trying to free up every fraction of a pony to bring your 1/4 mile time down a 128th of a second

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I put an electric fan on my 94 302 and noticed an impressive power difference. Hills I could only pull in 4th gear I could now do in 5th. After a year or two I had a problem with it and decided to **** the electric fan so i bought a new clutch and fan and shroud and put everything back to stock, but I didn't loose any power like I did before with the stock fan. I guess my original clutch was locked up and running the fan at full speed all the time which I didn't realize at the time.
Point is...check your clutch and if its not free as it should be just replace that and call it good.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
there is a test for it on here somewhere. do a quick search and find it

·
Registered
240 Posts
I put a flex fan on mine. I noticed a little more power. Cooling is about the same, but it's noisy as hell! It's lighter than a clutch fan, so I'd think a flex fan or elec fan would be easier on water pump bearings. I had a 450hp 350 in a Trans Am that I had to convert to electric fan. Above 7,000 rpms the clutch fan would break the water pump off the engine! The electric fan didn't cool as good, but it prevented any more water pump problems.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
on a big radiator you should use 2 fans, even if one of them has to go in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just curious...what is your current mpg and we are you trying to be? I know a couple of people who have sunks $hundreds$ into their pretty much stock full sizes and see no gain. I think 15-16 mpg is as good as it gets....

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Just curious...what is your current mpg and we are you trying to be? I know a couple of people who have sunks $hundreds$ into their pretty much stock full sizes and see no gain. I think 15-16 mpg is as good as it gets....
im about 16 with an electric fan. still have to fix a dragging brake and get an alignment though, i have a dirty air filter too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts