Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just I just finished installing a Dodge Dakota electric fan from a V8 model. At idle it turned on at about 200. I also hooked up a switch just in case. I had a 14" fan that would not turn on. I figure I put the sensor too low. This time I put it right under the top radiator hose. I also wound up putting in a new radiator as I accidently cut a tube with the pliers while trying to remove the 14" fan. The Dodge fan is about 16" or 18". I priced a Linclon Mark VIII at $125 at the local junk yard. I may look around for a Taurus or a Thunderbird fan. The 14" was just way too small and I was running 210 on the highway. I will find out tomorrow how well the Dodge fan does. I'll post the result Saturday.

·
Registered
79 Posts
scapuchino said:
Well I just I just finished installing a Dodge Dakota electric fan from a V8 model. At idle it turned on at about 200. I also hooked up a switch just in case. I had a 14" fan that would not turn on. I figure I put the sensor too low. This time I put it right under the top radiator hose. I also wound up putting in a new radiator as I accidently cut a tube with the pliers while trying to remove the 14" fan. The Dodge fan is about 16" or 18". I priced a Linclon Mark VIII at $125 at the local junk yard. I may look around for a Taurus or a Thunderbird fan. The 14" was just way too small and I was running 210 on the highway. I will find out tomorrow how well the Dodge fan does. I'll post the result Saturday.
Running 210 onthe highway has nothing to do with a fan.

·
Chaos is coming!!
515 Posts
I just pulled a nice fan unit out of a Pontiac Safari van. Also got some from Dodge Caravans also. Not sure on the size, but they look like they will move alot of air.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Slob said:
Running 210 onthe highway has nothing to do with a fan.
Not so fast..I never thought so either..until I put an expensive Flex-o-Lite Black Magic puller in my rig in place of the stock fan and shrould. I was trying - as you would expect - to solve a problem with overheating while crawling. What I got was a very marginal improvement in crawling temps..and a whopping big overheating problem when going at highway speeds that had not been a problem before. It was very clear that the blockage of the electric fan was the culprit. Went back to a mechanical fan..but much larger than stock with a fan clutch, and a custom shroud that fit well..and problems all gone both crawling and highway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What vehicle did you get the fan and clutch from and how did you wire it up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts