Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am inthe middle of a 460 swap in my '85 Bronco. I am contemplating using electric fans. Just wanted to hear any thoughts or suggestions.

·
College User
2,023 Posts
I recommend it. I have dual electric, the stock fan and no shroud. If I start to get hot turn the fans on and back to under 200 it goes. Also I can turn the off how deep water and such which is good. They can be got cheap off of ebay and are easy to wire in.

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
There was a thread that talked about using a Lincoln Mark VIII fan. It fits well over the radiator and has an overflow resevoir attached. I have yet to go find one at a junk yard though.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
I put a set of stock fans from a trans am on my 85 BXLT, and they work great! I'll get some pics in a day or two, but it was practically a drop in operation with fans that cost $35 from the U Pull It.

9+5

·
College User
2,023 Posts
I only use them offroad, onroad I dont break 200.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts

Use a relay off an electric thermostat and a relay off the AC, which, stunningly enough, actually works.

·
College User
2,023 Posts
That ac switch is good for the road, but offroad or you may just want them off. Put your own relay and direct to a switch. The wiring is about the same and you can turn them off when needed.

Edit: and taping over the wires aint a bad idea either.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
95 BXL said:
I put a set of stock fans from a trans am on my 85 BXLT, and they work great! I'll get some pics in a day or two, but it was practically a drop in operation with fans that cost $35 from the U Pull It.

9+5
Did you remove the stock fan? (it appears so from the pics) and if so how are they wired (thermostat or toggle switch)?? Also what year T/A I like what I see!! :thumbup

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have one on my 86" it comes on when I turn on the A.C. Works great. Had an overheating problem with the A.C. turned on even with an extra core radiator and a flex fan. Ever since I put on the electric fan I have no more problem.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
how hard are they to wire in? how hard is it to get the stock one off?
if i can get one for $35 from a yard then this might be a good thing for me to invest in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Easy to wire in. Instructions in the box. As far as taking the old on off im assuming since yours is a 82" it has a mechanical fan running off the motor. Also easy, just take off bolts, but you shouldnt have to there is enough space that you can install the electric without having it interfere with the stock one. You will have to remove the radiator to install the electric fan.There are plastic ties that pass through the radiator fins that are a bitch to install without taking out the radiator. I have the electric running in conjunction with a flex fan and it works real good.I paid about 60 bucks for mine locally at the parts store. It was called a Slimline. By the way I replaced my fan shrould with a half moon chrome one.This caused part of my overheating problem,if yours is stock you will have more work to make it fit ,I think.This is all based on the many hours under the hood of my 86" Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
if i did an electric fan conversion the main reason would be to take off the power draining stock fan off.
but your info did help me thanks :cheers

·
Registered
193 Posts
The electric fan has an inline fuse. If it goes like happened to mine once you will be glad you kept the mechanical for the extra backup to get home. Hope all goes well!(I keep an extra now (I put that into the DHUUUUUHHH!!! file.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is it worth the time and money to swap over from a manual fan to an electric?

·
College User
2,023 Posts
I also have both, and the duel electrics I have come in handy. When in traffic, or towing and I start to heat up, turn the fans on and in a few minutes back under 195*F. They are sweet on and offroad.

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
gobucs1 said:
I also have both, and the duel electrics I have come in handy. When in traffic, or towing and I start to heat up, turn the fans on and in a few minutes back under 195*F. They are sweet on and offroad.
i run the same thing on my 79. if she heats up in traffic, flip the switch n it's all good. mounted teh electric over the trans cooler n i usually leave it on when i'm on the trail to keep the trans nice n cool. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts