Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for an electric impact wrench. I'd like a pneumatic one but my air compressor isn't big enough to run one and I won't be buying anything big enough to run it until we buy a house with a garage in another year or two.

I'd like to spend no more than $250 and would prefer a corded one. I have nothing against cordless ones but I hate it when the battery dies or is dead when I want to use it. It will be mainly used for removing/tightening lug nuts, maybe a few other misc. jobs.

I saw a Milwaukee 1/2" drive elec impact at northern tools for $200, haven't really found anything else locally. I think this one put out 300 ft lbs...I can't recall.

Can anybody recommend a better one for the money? I hear good things about Hilti but I can't find any one around here that sells it.

I did make two new tool purchases in my search though. I recently burned the motor out of my craftsman circular saw and was able to pick up a nicer porter cable today on sale for $60 (orig. $150). Also got a set of craftsman wrenches from 1/4" up to 1 1/4". I had most of the sizes but the set was cheaper than if I bought the wrenches that I needed above 7/8" separately. So now I'm going to put the rest to good use in my truck's wrench set and retire my hand me down matco, mac, and cornwell set that I pieced together to garage use only.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
If you know you will be getting into a house in a couple years and at that time upgrading to a larger compressor then IMO get a cheap electric impact for now. Then later buy a nice air impact when you get into your house.

I dont know much about the electric impacts but my neighbor has one and uses it often. He used to borrow my air and impact often(our shops are side by side) and then a couple years ago he got a cheap electric one from Harbor Freight. IIRC he paid around 40-50 buxs for it? It seems to work ok, well atleast he doesnt ask for mine anymore not that I minded.

This would let you save 100 buxs for the house fund. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just don't like the disposable nature of the power tools HF sells. I've bought some stuff from there and it always breaks. I'd rather spend another $100 and have something I can use for the next 20 years. I could maybe go HF if it was something I rarely use, but this is something I will get some good use out of and I want it to last.

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
You may be better off saving up just a little bit longer and getting a good 30 gallon air compressor. I'd stick with a fairly good breaker bar, and maybe keep the cheater next to you for a little while longer. Lowes sells a good IR impact wrench for like 120 bucks, and its well worth it. Shop around and get the most bang for your buck, make sure its got warranty or coarse. DeWalt might just have the best electric gun out there.

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Money is not really the issue, if I had a place for a 30 gallon tank I'd already have one. I just have no place to put one. I do brake jobs and tire rotations for friends and family pretty often and a 1/2" breaker bar in 110" heat and 85% humidity has gotten old.

I've been searching on some other sites and it seems the Milwaukee I was looking at is a good unit, I'm going to pick it up in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,728 Posts
just my .02 I have been using a Craftsman 1/2" for almost 10 years. Still going strong, it doesn't break loose the worst stuff - needed the bvreaker bar to start the ubolts that were rusted to the rear axel. I think thet are close to $100.

I hear you on the cordless stuff I have the worst luck with battries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.