Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im still new to some parts for these trucks, and i wanted to know if theres a whole kit i can put to change it to a manual transfer case?
because i Barely do any off roading but if i do i dont want to 100% trust electrical motor that might burn up or short out, maybe thats why the previous owner of this bronco took it out? not sure

thanks ! :)

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,995 Posts
Theres no kit to convert the elec tcase to manual. Youll have to swap over all the parts from a truck that has a manual tcase, including the tcase itself.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres no kit to convert the elec tcase to manual. Youll have to swap over all the parts from a truck that has a manual tcase, including the tcase itself.
oh wow D: ok thank you

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yup, no kit, but it's a pretty easy swap. I did it earlier this year.

You'll need a manual transfer case with the Bronco output shaft/cover (it's different than the truck version). You'll also need the shifter and brackets for your transmission.

Probably a good idea to rebuild the T-case while it's out if it's got some miles on it.

The hole in the floor for the shifter is already there, you just need to remove the cover plate, and you'll need the bezel and shift boot.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,033 Posts
The donor truck(s) need to be '87+. 86 and back had the TC shifter come through the tunnel cover, not the side of the tunnel like 87+.

Shifter is also not just grab and go. There were a couple types, even on the same transmission. There was one that had a cylindrical shape and were made of potmetal. And ive seen countless broken ones. Other models, like my 88 F250 (ZF5, BW1345), could have a lever type shift mechanism that used all forged iron parts. I am not aware of a way to know if a truck has one or the other, without just looking.

The 'good one'

The one that likes to break has a 6" cylinder with the rubber bellows thingy on it. You can see it came on many transmissions, from multiple generations. This is the one off my 96 F350 (with a BW4407, not BW1356 transfer case). The T18 hadnt been available since 91 and the C6 was special order only. Mine happened to be a C6.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dang ! :O thats a pretty heavy stuff to find here, cause swapping it doesnt seem to bad, but looking for that seems abit difficult, its already hard enough getting a bronco where i live

Anyway thank you very much guys ! if i do change it ill keep an eye out for those transfer cases

1 - 6 of 6 Posts