Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
you can buy it from a ford dealer or look around junkyards, a new one from Ford will set you back ~$150 and the installation is easy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the truck used and took the sellers word the 4x4 worked. I tried it a few days later and nothing happened. I put it in neutral , pushed the button and I heard a click from behind the passenger kick panel . No lights came on and it did not ingage. Tried taping on the motor and nothing again. Are the lights on the dash supposed to come on when you push the switch even if the electric motor is bad or do they only come on if the 4x4 actually ingages?

·
Registered
316 Posts
nope light wont come on or anything,

dont tap the motor, HIT the motor with a hammer! little ford electrical motors, like the window motors, seize up in the bottom some times, you need to loosen the gears up, i personally dont like pounding on peoples trucks with a hammer so i take their servo motors off, take them apart, clean them, and reasemble, problem usually goes away.

you should also get a buddy and a volt meter and test the switch,

with a bronco, or any other car, if somethings not working right, going "DOH, better replace it!" will become a costly habit! good luck

do a search on this tons of people have this issue...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANKS. Anything else for sale to make it look better ? Normal bolt ons,bumpers ,skid plates, brush guards etc.,

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 85 Bronco dormant baja build, 93 Bronco cruiser, 05 F150 supercharged 5.4 tow rig
359 Posts
i would take the contact cover plate off and make sure there's no hardened grease on the contacts... i had the same problem 3-4 years ago and cleaning the contacts cured it for good :thumbup

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well i am having the same problem but tapping the motor made 4x4 work. Problem is that i am not about to get down there and tap it every time i want to get into 4x4. So i took mine apart today and the magnet in the case was in 50 pieces. I would not recommend tapping the motor. This site shows how to take apart and clean the motor. I will be buying a new one when i could have just cleaned mine. The dealership down here wants $370. Anyone have a used one?

·
Registered
741 Posts
FLMountainMan said:
Well i am having the same problem but tapping the motor made 4x4 work. Problem is that i am not about to get down there and tap it every time i want to get into 4x4. So i took mine apart today and the magnet in the case was in 50 pieces. I would not recommend tapping the motor. This site shows how to take apart and clean the motor. I will be buying a new one when i could have just cleaned mine. The dealership down here wants $370. Anyone have a used one?
you shouldnt have to tap on it everytime you want to engage 4x4, the reason we say tap on it is to knock sh** loose that may be encrusted inside. I can probably say that the magnet was broke before you "tapped" on the motor, if it wasnt then you broke it yourself by tapping it to hard. Tapping on the 4x4 motor is perfectly fine there are many memebers here that had the same problem (4x4 wont engage but they hear a clicking sound) and they tapped on the 4x4 motor and now their 4x4 works all the time. Also about that price....did you ask if vasalean was included? beacause your getting raped if that price doesnt include installation, the motor should only be ~$150, so that price that you were quoted probably included installation.

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Quick tip:

Once you do get it working, be sure to exercise it EVERY DAY or else it will seize up on you again. It kinda works out because it gives you a valid excuse to tell your wife/gf where you're been for the past five hours even though you got off work at 2:30. :thumbup

·
Registered
741 Posts
RavenTBK said:
Quick tip:

Once you do get it working, be sure to exercise it EVERY DAY or else it will seize up on you again. It kinda works out because it gives you a valid excuse to tell your wife/gf where you're been for the past five hours even though you got off work at 2:30. :thumbup
:stupid

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 85 Bronco dormant baja build, 93 Bronco cruiser, 05 F150 supercharged 5.4 tow rig
359 Posts
yep, i have a great link that shows how to do it:
http://www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/web/pages/tcase.html

if you look at the first pic on that page, the contacts that are probably covered in old grease are on the white disc shown to the very right. as i recall, you don't have to remove the main motor shaft/cylinder from its assembly, just the whole unit from the case, which i believe is 3 bolts. that site is for an Explorer but our setup is very similar.

ummm if you shattered the magnet, what you call "tap" I call "pound" :lolup There is no way to swap to manual shift linkage without going to a manual shift case, so I'd start hunting the junkyards for either a new case or another motor casing :banghead

just FYI, in the 2nd pic on that page you can see how the motor is sealed from the case and how you could manually engage the case from under the truck if you absolutely had too. it takes hardly any force to put it into gear, even 4lo, and almost puts itself back into Hi range if you barely twist it... if you ever have some sort of emergency need for 4x4 and it's acting up, you can take off those 3 bolts and engage it using the little gear as a knob :thumbup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts