Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bronco charges battery with each start up for a few min then quits charging, next day it will charge the entire drive time. Next day only for a few min. then periodically charge. I have read several post that state diff. Ideas but I still can not seem to fix problem. Have not replaced Alt. due to I read that it works or does not,plus it is a PITA to get off due to the EFI Exhaust on the 300(converted to EFI over stock). I have checked all connections, replaced under dash servo. nothing seems loose, any help will be welcome.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 85 f-150 with the externally regulated alternator. The wire that runs from the alternator to the voltage regulator that tells the alternator to start charging was broken within the insulation. It was intermittent for about 3 months, then stopped charging.

It would charge just enough to run the truck, but as soon as I turned on any load the alternator wouldn't volt up and the battery would discharge.

Justin

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried new regualtor still not charging cont. One start up it is fine the next it will not charge. Looked at all the connections they seem good, if replacing all wiring from alt. to regulator, what else could it be besides the ALt.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
To start, make sure the NEG battery cable is grounded to the frame by stripping a small 1" area on the cable and exposing the inside wire and ground it to the frame. IIRC there should be several holes in the frame in that area, I made a small bracket with a nut & bolt to hold it in place.
It will give you better elec continuity throughout the truck, assuming you haven't done this already! :doh0715:

My 86 has an internal voltage regulator in the alternator, external VR bolts to the firewall or fender well. :chili:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lights go dim and blinkers stop working, it also shows on my volt meter in cab as a negative. teh servo I assume that is what it is is a black box about one inch square unter the dash on teh passenger side of the steering column. Have not had the alt. tested yet, only reason is I read on here that they either work or do not, plus it is a PITA to get off. I assume as alwasy in my case it will be the last part I change or check. I iwll try to get the part number and disciption on the "servo I am talking about. I had it replaced earlier due to it making a clicking sound when eingine was off at it would kill my battery. I put a new one on a dnit stopped the drain on the bnattery and all was fine for a few months then this started happening.

·
Registered
72 Posts
what about the battery is it good and has it been tested, electrical crap is a pita i hate it and i understand it semi decently

1 - 7 of 7 Posts