Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Eddie Bauer - 5.8. C6, 33's but no significant engine mods.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All -
Need a quick sanity check. The wiring in my truck is in pretty rough shape. I wanted to swap the harness with a new one, so I picked up this:
Gesture Font Art Fashion accessory Wire

It is listed as an OEM harness for 302 & 351w small blocks with speed density system. The majority of the connectors line up with my existing harness, except for the 4 round plugs at about 11 o'clock in the pic, the white, grey, red, and black ones. My existing harness seems to have much more wiring than this one. Is there a "sub harness" that those plugs are supposed to go into, or is this the wrong part? It doesn't look like this mates up to the fuel injection, could it be for a carb?

Luckily the shop has agreed to take it back if it isn't the correct part. I was hoping to get it installed, but if there is a sub harness connection, I'm not seeing it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
That harness shows the large firewall plug up from the 60 pin connector. Typical of a Mustang harness. Does your year use that?

The ECM position changed a little at some point, I’m not familiar with the older trucks.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,591 Posts
Like Narve mentioned, that large grommet says it’s not for a Bronco, perhaps the sent you a Mustang harness assuming it would work. The only Bronco harnesses I’ve seen with that grommet are from the early 80’s with the feedback system in which the computer is in the cab under the radio

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. That makes sense. Mine does not have that rubber grommet. The other major difference is that the wires on the 60 plug (main ecu) port exit from the bottom, mine exits under a plastic triangular shaped cover that points towards the passenger side.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update for anyone who sees this thread in the future -
This part is sold through Bronco Graveyard and is listed as an OEM ECU wiring harness for speed density 5.0 and 5.8 SBF engines. The consensus, and my personal experience say that it will not fit a Bronco. It appears to be for a Mustang, or maybe a carbureted engine. Many of the connections are too short to plug and play in a Bronco, and there is no connection for fuel injection. Unfortunately, if you're in the market for a harness (I know I am) this will not meet your needs.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,591 Posts
If you are looking for the harness that connects to the injectors, distributor and engine sensors it’s not the ecu harness, the ecu harness pretty much stops at the fuse/relay box. I believe you need the engine harness which connects to the ecu harness with a large connector near the fuse box.
I would remove the engine harness lay it on a work bench, remove the tape/plastic loom a little at a time and make necessary repairs and rewrap as you go

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you watch all those car shows they always tout this company called 'Painless Wiring'....perhaps give them a call
I checked into Painless. They have some nice kits, but you have to do quite a bit of soldering and splicing. If push comes to shove, may order one (they're pretty spendy). I was hoping for a simple swap, but I may have to do it the painless way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are looking for the harness that connects to the injectors, distributor and engine sensors it’s not the ecu harness, the ecu harness pretty much stops at the fuse/relay box. I believe you need the engine harness which connects to the ecu harness with a large connector near the fuse box.
I would remove the engine harness lay it on a work bench, remove the tape/plastic loom a little at a time and make necessary repairs and rewrap as you go
Yup - that was my next course of action. I was looking at picking up an extra one from either a junk yard or eBay and working through it wire by by wire. That way I can keep my rig up and running while I sort out a new one. If I do that I'll take pics and post for future electrical pioneers.

·
Man of endless projects
11,116 Posts
if you are going to go through the trouble of rewiring the truck, you might consider a MAF swap while you are at it. or going ahead and getting a Stinger Pimpx ECU also. then you can add all sorts of stuff and have better tuning for modifications

as for that Harness for the Stinger, on Ron Frans website, someone asked about it on a stock ECU. They responded with:
The PM-75 is designed for the Stinger Pimp ECM only. The harness does not include any MAF, BAP or VIP connectors or circuits, etc. The Cobra-75 would be best for a Ford ECM, which would also work for the Stinger Pimp ECM but would have those extra connections not used (MAF, BAP, VIP, etc).
thiere website does list 1990 truck harnesses for 5.0 and 5.8 also. ideally the 90 5.8 would be for E4OD while 5.0 would be for AOD. would call to ask them what trans the harnesses are for but you might call them to order a custom harness for yuor truck to make sure uits right

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you are going to go through the trouble of rewiring the truck, you might consider a MAF swap while you are at it. or going ahead and getting a Stinger Pimpx ECU also. then you can add all sorts of stuff and have better tuning for modifications

as for that Harness for the Stinger, on Ron Frans website, someone asked about it on a stock ECU. They responded with:

thiere website does list 1990 truck harnesses for 5.0 and 5.8 also. ideally the 90 5.8 would be for E4OD while 5.0 would be for AOD. would call to ask them what trans the harnesses are for but you might call them to order a custom harness for yuor truck to make sure uits right
Thank you!!

After discussing a few things here I'm working on laying out a more long term plan. I'd like to get as much done as possible when I have it apart. I don't like going back and removing stuff I just put on in order to add a new part.

Right now I'm looking at:
Upgrading to MAF
Replacing wiring
Replacing upper and lower intake
Upgrading fuel injectors

I think most of that can be done at the same time and will save me the effort of taking a bunch of crap apart later to add something. I'll probably start a new thread and make sure I'm not missing anything else while I'm in there.

·
Man of endless projects
11,116 Posts
Replacing the intake with what and why? Upgrading injector to what and why?

MAF is a great way to go. Aftermarket EFI is better but anything it better than stock speed density. Also makes a good time to go sequential injection instead of stock batch fire

Since you do not have electronic transmission, that simply alot of the options for you. Unless you want to consider going to a different trans for better fuel economy. The. Now is an option to consider it. A 4R70W is a good common decent trans to swap in for example

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Replacing the intake with what and why? Upgrading injector to what and why?

MAF is a great way to go. Aftermarket EFI is better but anything it better than stock speed density. Also makes a good time to go sequential injection instead of stock batch fire

Since you do not have electronic transmission, that simply alot of the options for you. Unless you want to consider going to a different trans for better fuel economy. The. Now is an option to consider it. A 4R70W is a good common decent trans to swap in for example
I'm looking at replacing the intake for a little more power to keep up with modern traffic. The Bronco is my daily and I commute a total of 60 miles a day on the highway. I get over run by average traffic pretty easily. I had an Edelbrock upper and lower on the truck before, but the shop that rebuilt my engine sent it in on the core motor and replaced it with stock. I found a machine shop that will port it for me, so I'm looking at getting that done.

Injectors - I want to switch over to the 4 hole injectors off the Explorer for a little more fuel economy. I'm averaging around 8 right now, and the fuel prices are killer.

MAF - Same as above, mostly MPG

New trans - My C6 was rebuilt less than 1K ago, but if a 4R70W would help with mileage, I will absolutely research and consider it.

·
Man of endless projects
11,116 Posts
ouch on loosing the Performer. those are now selling for 1100 bucks. and its defiantly not worth that price. porting the stock helps but dont expect alot from most average shops. i hear very good claims about BigDog Porting doing them and pretty cheaply like 300 bucks. they claim to outflow the Performer afterwards. but it takes a LONG time to get done. 6-8 months seems to be average. that is the main complaint i hear about them is lack of communication and the time. Tmoss is a popular porter for on the mustang forums. think he said his turnaround time is like a week or 2 last i asked him. he is more of a realist and doesnt give claims because he knows flow numbers are not everything.

C6 is a great trans for offroad because its very strong. but it lacking overdrive and locking converter means it will get bad MPG. not great for highway.

AOD is an option but its a pretty weak trans. you can get them built strong but it usually loses converter lockup which i feel is a important for MPG. but it does not require a controller.

E4OD is what ford used from 90 and up. its strong but kinda expensive to rebuild. alot of people had bad luck with them. it needs a controller. 94-95 302 did come E4OD and MAF but finding those computers are hard nowdays.

4R70W is a decent trans. the 98+ models are alot stronger than the older models. they were not used with broncos but were used in many late f150 5.0 trucks. they also require a controller. 94-95 302 did also come with MAF and 4R70W. to find a 98+ model you can get them from 98+ Explroer 5.0 but you would need an AWD model. the can also find them from 4.2l V6 4x4 trucks. with a simple mods known as the JMod, they are very decent trans

heck depending how good with wiring you are, you can do like i did and swap in Explroer 5.0 EFI and trans. then you will be OBD-II, MAF, EDIS-8, 4R70W, sequential injection. grab the GT40 heads and injectors. swap to the Explorer accessory drive which deleted the smog pump, 130amp 4G alternator, remote resevior PS pump. swap to e-fans. but you are talknig about some mods to make it all work withthe 351w. but you would have a very effective and efficient truck.

my 90 F250 is using Explorer 5.0 engine, trans, and EFI. its super reliable and gets probably around 15mpg if i were to drive normal. it was alot of work and wiring but it could be donwe simpler than i did it. i love the OBD-II factor. the Explorer 302 make about the same HP as a stock 351w. i beat the crap out of the truck on and offroad and love it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my 90 F250 is using Explorer 5.0 engine, trans, and EFI. its super reliable and gets probably around 15mpg if i were to drive normal. it was alot of work and wiring but it could be donwe simpler than i did it. i love the OBD-II factor. the Explorer 302 make about the same HP as a stock 351w. i beat the crap out of the truck on and offroad and love it.
[/QUOTE]

I wish I had the space (and tools) to do that. Right now I'm doing the vast majority of my work in the parking lot. I have a townhouse with an HOA who isn't thrilled when I do major truck renovations out front. I have a buddy who owns an independent Land Rover shop, he works on my other vehicle, but he doesn't work on Fords. He'll let me use his lift and tools, but out of courtesy I don't leave the vehicle overnight.

Right now I'm looking at things I can do in $500 bursts. I dump a few bucks a check into it to keep it updated and reliable. For the most part, it has been running great, but the thing with a 30+ year old truck is that there is always something you can improve.

I contacted Big Dog, and I'm planning on sending some stuff over to them. They'll port the upper and lower, and a throttle body for $400. Part of the package is cleaning, sandblasting, and coating it as well. I told them I was planning on pulling one from a Junk Yard and they were good with that. They told me that they had hired some new staff and were speeding up turn around time on the jobs. I still expect it to take 2 months or so, but that's fine. It fits into my burst plan. While they're working on it I can pick up some other parts.

I was pretty hot over losing the Edelbrock stuff. I had about $6K in parts on that engine that never should have been sent in as a core. The especially infuriating part was that the shop blew the motor, didn't tell me, then replaced it without letting me know. When I went to figure out what the hell was going on I popped the hood and knew immediately. That was not a good day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts