Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting XM radio in the bronco. I want to hardwire the 12V power so I don't have to use the cigar plug adaptor. Looking at the provided cigar plug adaptor from XM, I note that it is labled, "DC to DC converter, Input 12v, Output 6v". So somehow the plug is stepping the voltage down to 6V? How do I snip the plug off and hard wire in to the truck?

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,972 Posts
Through some sort of step down resistor network like what's inside your plug adaptor. There isn't a 6volt wire in your dash you can just splice to. I would think there is aftermarket stuff for these XM radios that do exactly what you want.

Adrianspeeder

·
Banned
18,425 Posts
Don't cut it - unscrew it. Solder your new wires on where the original plug contacts were so you retain the converter. You can probably fit it back into the cigar lighter plug case to protect it with the new wires out the tip, then hide the case in the dash. Remember to FUSE it somehow.

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
I installed an additional lighter socket, actually two the other is for my GPS. In my car I put the new lighter socket up behind the dash so it's completely out of sight & out of the way. I really wish auto manufacturers would come up with a better connection for power.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Steve83 said:
Don't cut it - unscrew it. Solder your new wires on where the original plug contacts were so you retain the converter. You can probably fit it back into the cigar lighter plug case to protect it with the new wires out the tip, then hide the case in the dash. Remember to FUSE it somehow.
This was my first thought......you have all the necessary components inside the lighter plug on the XM power cable to take the 12VDC down to 6VDC.....and like steve83 said you can hide everything.

I should not talk though. I have the Delphi Rodie II w/XM and I just used the "12V power point" and then hid the wire along/under the dash.
Here take a look.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
they make a lot of products to step down voltage for vw's. so you can run a 12v battery and use the 6v acces. (like wiper motors) check out vw parts. i dont know haow big the part would be tho.......

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve83 said:

Thanks all for responding. My original idea is the same one Steve threw out, so I'll go with that! Just needed a little encouragement...

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey i got a 89 bronco the door ding keeps going on when the set belts and doors are shut ever run in to that happen after i jumped my battery but put a new one in and the ding ding still

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
plug ugly said:
just wire a supplemental 12volt lighter in, and put it up under the dash so its a noseeum
Maybe its just me, but I always seem to get the lighter plugs that don't hold on to the plug, or have bad grounds, or... its always something with those things. Thaz why I wanna hardwire it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts