Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for some reason the horn in the bronco has stopped working along with the lighter and Cruise Control. Now I have checked the fuse since all these are on the same 30amp fuse. It looked good, but I still changed it just in case. I can hear the relay behind the glove box clicking when I press the horn but no sound from the horn. I tried replacing the relay but still got the same result. Could it have been another bad relay or should I look somewhere else. By the way I have a 1989 EB 5 liter. Any ideas are greatly appreaciated as I will have to get this vehicle inspected at the end of the month. Thanks as always in advance.

Jason M

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
I believe you have a bad clock spring. Isnt a hard fix, and is only like 100 from ford. When it goes, It takes horn, Cruise, and in the 92-96 models you'll get a blinking airbag light.

B

·
0 Posts
Is the other stuff working now? If so, Put 12 volts to the horn to see of it works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even after the new relay was installed everything still did not work. Could something be wrong with the fuse panel itself. Everything else in the truck beside those three things work fine so thats why I havent looked at the panel that much. As for a Clock spring I have no idea what or where something like that would be. Description and location if you could sir. Thanks again

Jason M

·
Registered
316 Posts
i would deffinately hotwire the things not working and use a voltage tester to track the problem through the wiring..

in my '89, there were some loose wires in the back of the fuse panel, it was confusing because all the fuses were good, but none of the things that all stopped working at once (blower fan, blinkers, etc..) were on the same fuse... after looking in the book i realized that although they wernt on the same fuse, the wires were in the same area behind the box and had become loose,

problem fixed with a pair of needle nose pliers..

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Clock Spring is in the steering colume but that is all I know so far. Mine is doing the same but I can't find out much else execpt everyone tells me its the clock spring. I'll be tearing mine apart this afternoon when I get back from Detroit and see what I can find in there. (Sure miss that cruise) I'll let you know if I find out what it is. LOL --Jerry-- :banghead

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
gfo trace down your wiring diagram, see where they all get there poewer from, and then take a multi meter to see where you are not getting power where its supposed to be, using continuity you should be able to track down the bad section

Test, don't Guess

·
Registered
41 Posts
If the horn relay clicks when you hit the horn,it's probably something after the relay.Either the horn itself,it's ground,or the wire that runs to it from the relay.An easy test,unplug at the horn and hook up a test light.If it lights up when you hit the button,good circuit-bad horn.If it doesn't you'll have to test the power and ground wire to the horn.

·
Southeast Utah Native
920 Posts
It's grounded through its mounting bolt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
check outthe back of the fuse panel, maybe where the fuse panel connects the fuse to the wire has came loose, I had a similar problem

hope that helps

·
Banned
38,676 Posts
Each horn has 1 terminal, for the hot wire. Can you hear the relay under the dash click when you press the horn switch? It should happen even with the key OUT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just picked up an 89 EB bronco with a 5.8. There is no clock spring in this year vehicle. however we are having the exact same problems. The cruise controll and horn both work through the same TWO wires Blue and Yellow/Blue stripe if i remember correctly.
Out truck has been chop chop mechanic repair prior to our purchase... There is a control for the cruise control and the horn relay although seperate circuits they both absolutly work from the same wire connections. the cruise controll works on low voltage circuits and the horn at the 12v. I wish i could be of more help and I am working on ours now. I will let you know what we find and maybe it will help you. If anyone tells you that the cruise and horn are seperate ask them why there are only Two spring contact wires from the steering wheel but four functions and a horn on the face of the wheel....

·
Registered
53 Posts
had the same problem then last month got a letter from ford there was a recall on the cruise control sensor or something like that brought it in to my local ford dealer they fixed it for free and now my cruise control works along with my horn and i dont have any more low voltage problem. call your local ford dealer and see if your fsb qualifies for the recall

1 - 16 of 16 Posts