Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So a little backstory. I was cleaning up some wiring under my dash and without noticing I knocked my ammeter gauge, and it was touching the metal bracket. I go to fire the truck up later that evening and under the hood starts smoking. I shut it off and run to pull the negative cable and notice the wire running from the positive side of the starter solenoid is all burnt and crispy. I replace that wire and throw an new extra gauge I had lying around and went to start it. I also put a new solenoid in just because I had a new one. When I connected the Cables the negative one sparked quite a bit. I could here the seatbelt buzzer going off in the truck. But there was still now power in the truck. Not really sure where to go from here any help would be great. I’m guessing something else got shorted in the process that I’m just not replacing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I’ve gone from battery positive to battery ground and got 12.6 volts. Went from battery ground to chassis ground and got nothing

·
Registered
637 Posts
What are you expecting to see? Did you mean you went from battery positive to chassis ground and saw zero voltage? Verify your chassis ground is clean and down to bare metal. Paint, mud, or rust can give you incorrect readings.

There are several fusible links you could have fried. These links are embedded in the wiring running from the starter relay according to my EVTM. Search out Gary’s GarageMahal as he has several years’ of EVTMs you can browse for applicable schematics.

·
Super Moderator
24,989 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts