Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 bronco 5.0. im a carb guy,not an efi guy.im stuck on this...i have a slight miss at idle,also when i put it in reverse and tap the gas and let off it stalls.i can watch the volt gauge jump when its doing it. i've replaced temp sensor,iac,fuel pressure reg,fuel filter,plugs wires cap rotor are good. truck runs perfect,lots of power and pick up. trying to park it and back up gets a little annoying.. please help. i searched through the forum but couldnt find this problem. hope i didnt over look it..

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
If it's an EFI pull codes, could be the TPS - Throttle Position Sensor located on the bottom of the throttle body, they're voltage driven. It's in the Haynes and there are lots threads on this. Try the "Ultimate Throttle Body" by Xris it shows everything.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i'll give it a shot..will i still have codes even though the engine light never comes on? also i noticed last night i had all the lights on,heater full blast,rear defog on, and in gear i noticed the volt gauge dropping steady.could this be the same problem?

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
To get better aquainted you can print code explanations FREE on www.fordfuelinjection.com it's owned by Ryan McCormick aka: Fireguy50 a FSB member. There are numerous threads on "how to" pull codes, and where the plug is located. I have a Ford Code Reader with book, it just plugs in but you can use a paper clip and pulse, use the "search" on that.
You can clear codes by simply disconnecting the -battery cable for a few minutes and re-hook.

You may have to get a voltmeter and start probing, how good is the battery, alternator etc? Do you have the neg.battery cable grounded to the frame?

To set your idle you need to warm up the motor then shut it off disconnect the IAC then fire it back up and using the Tach, use the TB stop screw by adjusting it to the proper idle suggested in the Haynes, it's under the black plastic cover where the cables hook up.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Pull codes first. An alternator/charging system upgrade sounds like it should be in your plans.

You can get lots of codes without it throwing a check engine light.

If you adjust your BASE idle with the TB butterfly stop screw, do it the way JK says, but remember, at idle, your TPS voltage should not be over 1.0v, if it is, you need to adjust your TPS as well.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
If you have to replace the TPS, scribe it on the TB with a black felt tip for reference then follow Bronco4Life and the Haynes proceedure etc. :doh0715: lol lol

:thumbup

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
I agree don't throw money at a problem, diagnose it. :chili:

First time out pulling codes with a paper clip might be a little frustrating is all, so assuming he needed to disconnect the battery cable while grounding it to the frame the codes would clear anyway, just a shortcut, I never had any problems but normally I use my code reader to clear them. :doh0715:

Setting idle that way is listed on this site as Ford OEM procedure in a thread by a FSB member who claimed he's a trained Ford mechanic and a number of experienced FSB's subscribe to it? My idle currently is the best it's been, all you have to do is mark it with chaulk and count turns for reference, I'm not sure I agree on this one. :rofl:

Since I swapped columns, I'm still working on your theory
There won't be a "next time". Only tilt columns have those actuators, so it's not a consideration for you any more.
because the actuator in my non-tilt column is broken right now???? :duh lol lol Just funnin ya Bro!

:thumbup

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Idle is NOT adjustable on EFIs, and you should NEVER mess with the throttle stop screw, unless you're trying to put it back where it goes after someone ELSE messed it up.

Well, technically it is... the EEC does it though. :toothless

1 - 9 of 9 Posts