Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was doing a simple job of connecting lights from aftermarket guages to the original light system and then had a problem when trying to test.

turn on my lights and none of the lights i installed or any instrument lights came on (headlights still worked). I disconnected my aftermarket lights and still no instrument lights came on but headlights worked. checked all fuses that had anything to do with lighting and found a blown fuse which i replaced. i tried my lights again (aftermarked lights still disconnected) and nothing came on not even the headlights. pulled some fuses and even ran a multimeter to discover the whole fusebox has no power. the whole truck somehow lost ALL power to everything but a few certian things.

Push button start has power (solenoid clicks but engine still wont crank somereason), fuel pump has power, A/C fans, check engine light has power, windshield wipers have power. basicly everything else doesnt have power but some random things

any ideas wut i can do? i unplugged the battery for now to reset but idk if it will change anything

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
sounds like you blew a larger fuse in the under hood fuse box. double check EVERYTHING. i blew the main engine controls fuse and thought i had blown the computer. i double checked in the morning and found a blown 20 amp fuse i missed the night before. what wires did you tap into for your gauges?

·
Man of endless projects
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i jsut went back to check on it again after reconnectin gthe battery. the fuse box has power again (at least the few i checked) but my accessories still dont work. now all that doesnt work seems to be radio, lights, horn and maby other stuff i havent noticed yet. i unplugged the connector going to the lights switch and checked and there isnt any power on any wires. if it wasn't night and my lights worked id check everything better. i went right onto the wires of the light between the light switch and windshield wiper switch due to easy of access and figuering it ould be good enough.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
i jsut went back to check on it again after reconnectin gthe battery. the fuse box has power again (at least the few i checked) but my accessories still dont work. now all that doesnt work seems to be radio, lights, horn and maby other stuff i havent noticed yet. i unplugged the connector going to the lights switch and checked and there isnt any power on any wires. if it wasn't night and my lights worked id check everything better. i went right onto the wires of the light between the light switch and windshield wiper switch due to easy of access and figuering it ould be good enough.
you have pics? im a visual person and im trying to figure out how you have it hooked up. did you tap atraight into the headlight feed or the instrument illumination feed? i tapped into the illumination feed and ground for my gauge at the instrument cluster wire bundle.
ill check my haynes and see whats on those circuits.

oh yeah, if your headlights work try turning the headlight knob, that dims the interior dash lights, left it dimmed the other day and couldnt figure out what was wrong.

i need to know which bronco it is and what the engine/tranny combo is.

·
Man of endless projects
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its the instrument illumination feed. thats y the headlights would still work when the instrument lights wouldnt

i tried the dimmer and nothing different but that shouldnt make the radio not work or horn. the truck is an 88 XLT with 302. tranny is a 3 speed automatic and thats all i can remeber but i have the neutral saftey switch bypassed if thats wut ur getting at

·
Man of endless projects
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i got it fixed. no idea y it didnt have power but after 30 mins of doublechecking the wiring around the fuse box, i popped the hood and soon ias i did, the power came back. now i got everything working good and guages are looking fine.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
ok i got it fixed. no idea y it didnt have power but after 30 mins of doublechecking the wiring around the fuse box, i popped the hood and soon ias i did, the power came back. now i got everything working good and guages are looking fine.
itll shut down power to the accesories and interior lights if theres no door or hood activity for 45 minutes while a door is open.

do we get pics of the gauges?:thumbup

·
Man of endless projects
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o never knew that but i figuered oppening the door alot from checking the wires would solve that.

also u dont wanna see my guages lol, its an embarresment but good enough for me. there just the standerd 3 guage cluster (oil, temp, and volt) you get at any autoparts store. have it mounted on the fuse box pannel with wires running everywhere. gotta look around my steering wheel to even see them but it was the easierst place to put them and it serves its purpose. needed the lights tho cause i usualy go mudding at night

·
Registered
151 Posts
They didn't offer the power conserve in the late 80's so there is still a problem. Check the harness on the drivers side fender, there is a tee that turn toward engine. Untape it and look for a large yellow wire, they where fuseable link material for about three years right in there and they would corrode from the moisture and cause the problem u described. May not b it but it happened on my truck and I spent a week under my truck trying to get power to all the stuff and a friend from the local ford dealership fixed it in ten minutes. Made me look like an idiot in my dads garage, but u never know if u don't look...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts