Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't started my bronco up for about a year, it overheated and I just let it sit till I got around to it.
Anyways, I put in a new battery and starter solenoid and it still won't crank. It will make a clacking sound an that's it. I've always had problems with the solenoid in the past, but I want a permanent fix for it.
I've tried crossing two screwdrivers on the solenoid and I do get a spark, however I can't get anyone to help crank it when I'm working on it. The battery cables get untouchably hot if I try to crank it multiple times in a row.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check the wires running to the starter. Does it have a good ground etc. Does the Bendix engage then not crank? I would check your wiring to the starter for the hot wire grounding out or the ground not being grounded.

-Adam

·
Registered
5 Posts
The fender well solenoid needs a good ground. You should be able to crank it by using a jumper wire to put power to the S terminal in that solenoid. If it's a manual trans try putting it in second or third gear and rocking the truck to see if the engine will turn just a bit. I hope it's not locked up. If so, try pulling the spark plugs and shooting some PB Blaster in the cylinders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's an auto. This thing has been in the family since it was new, and it has been left to sit on several different occasions, locking up was never a problem in the past, from what I know.
Which post on the solenoid do I need to lead the ground off of?

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
If your wires get way to hot to touch then I would replace them because they are probably corroded inside from sitting so long. Get a gauge bigger or so, Or it is because your starter is sucking way to much juice. I also see you just replaced battery and solenoid, Maybe try a new starter, I cooked 4 stock ones in 4 weeks with my 460 because of compression and I believe they heated up way to much. It would just clank and make funny noises trying to start it, Now I got a mini high torque starter and haven't had problems since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts