Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some electrical problems with the '91 bronco in the past few weeks..

I had it sitting around needing a new fuel pump for awhile.. After sitting for around 5 months, finally got it to a mechanic and they installed a new one. Before this, the bronco seemed to run fine, with some obvious fuel pump issues. After I got it back, the only thing that seemed off was that my radio wouldn't turn on - I figured it just somehow broke in the 5 months that I hadn't run the bronco, and paid it no attention.

Around a day or two after getting it back, my battery died. I figured the battery might've gone bad, same as the radio, and got a new one. A day or two later, died again. Replaced alternator, as the autozone mechanic told me it wasn't putting power to the battery. After replacing alt, the battery ran fine and he said the power was getting there. Right after replacing the alternator, the bronco wouldn't start... after shifting to neutral, it immediately started. I turned it off and started it a few more times, and noticed that it only started in neutral, not park.

So yeah, I'm assuming my NSS is bad. (which should be fine.. and shouldn't effect the battery... right?) I have no idea why the battery is dying.
I do not have a multimeter and really do not want to give the bronco back to the mechanic.. I'd much rather do it myself.
Is there a common problem with the '91 Bronco electrical system that I'm missing?

Just information, the bronco is a '91, 5.8 Eddie Bauer with everything stock, excluding the new battery and alternator.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
buy a multi meter from Auto zone before you buy more parts.

Also, don't listen when folks say dont buy parts from autozone lol, buy parts from wherever you want. I buy some parts there on purpose because its a hell of a lot easier to warranty something when you can drive down and swap it out.

Autozone carries motorcraft stuff, which the same people who tell you not to shop at AZ will recommend you buy.

But seriously, a multimeter can be had for like ten bucks, and nicer ones for 20-30, go buy one, and you can test all kinds of crap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
multimeter is first on my list go pick up then. I'll be back in town and get one of those after this weekend.

Basically what you're saying is to just start testing where the power is going.. once I find the place where there is no power, that's the part I need to replace?
At the moment, i'm horrible at mechanics and electrical stuff.. total newbie.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the same problem with only starting in neutral, I also had a few other electrical problems (starter running with key out of ignition). Once I replaced the NSS everything worked fine. I bought the NSS from auto zone and it hasn't given me any trouble.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Correct.

For specific power issues go to the suspected part and trace from there.

All sensors operate within a certain range, and you can test their range with a multimeter, you can do all kinds of cool crap, testing wires for continuity, etc. I use one of those fancy voltage testers for lots of crap too.

Steve's supermotor page has about everything you would ever hope to need about electrical stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts