Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was driving down the street when my headlights and interior/dashligts started going crazy and blinking, like a on/off arc...while my interior filled with acrid burning electrical smell.

I stopped and shut off the headlights and was able to drive home with just running lights and my seperately wired fog lights.

So, naturally I replaced the headlight switch, and verified all the connections on the connector. when I pulled the old switch I got a strong burnt smell from behind the dash, but the switch itself did not smell burnt. Turned out the new switch did nothing, i still have no headlights...

I am pretty good with electrical (im an electrican) but i was hoping someone could help that has had the same problem, or has a headlight system wiring diagram. thanks guys

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody just have a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, not with correct wiring colors....for some reason...ugg

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
no, not with correct wiring colors....for some reason...ugg
Are you sure? Old wires get discolored after a while. Also, make sure your looking at the correct wiring diagram, because there is more than one in the back ya know. ;)

You may also have to check different year(s) to see if maybe they used a different set of wires (different colored) in your year.

I would say chase the wires from the headlight switch under the dash as best you can. Usually if you smell burning plastic, you should be able to see where something is burnt. I don't know for sure, but the headlights may have an inline fuse or two.

KC

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have the same kind of problem when high-beams are on. They flash on and off. It's a pain in the butt, cause I have my low-beams aimed real low so I can see obstacles better.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, i traced everything back and found a burnt out high beam switch. the power goes to that and its a "3-way" switch where it goes from common to high or common to low beam. figured i would post a replay if anyone ever searches this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts