Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turned the key to acc the dash lights were low, and full turn to start things started a click and flutter of lights and relays.

Pulled the key out but cab lights low, clicking and fluttering continued. Ran and got voltmeter, battery read 5 volts.

Started pulling fuses in the engine compartment. Found two fuses that when pulled allowed 12.8 volts back to the battery. With either fuse in the voltage dropped to 5 v. Chilton manual has no listing of this block fuse layout.

So first off does anyone have a listing for the main fuse block that is just behind the water reservoir on the driver side under the hood for a 96 5.8 4x4 bronco/overdrive.

The two fuses I pulled are 50 amp both are the third from the sides, in the row that has nothing but fuses, about 10 or so.

Guess I'll go back and pull all the fuses in the cab to see what could be shorted. I'm wondering if the starter could have gone bad? Just a guess right now, back down to the bronco...:whiteflag

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still walking in the dark here

That link didn't work, but this one does http://aarc.epnet.com/application/8828/8828.htm

But I can not find a listing for that engine fuse block. I found a few in the chassis electrical drawing, but that's it. None of the 50amp fuses are listed.

The fuse in question seems to be 15(per fuse cover scheme), third from the driver fender wall, middle row, 50 amp, its a big red one.

There is a short to chassis on the left terminal, unknown if this is normal. Also for some reason the interior dome lights fuse also loads down the battery a few volts.:banghead :banghead

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solved

A side note, that info above via the link is actually what Chilton prints as their manual. I've still not been able to locate an index for this engine fuse block.

I believe I could have had a quicker resolution to my problem if I had known where the engine fuses were connected.

I discovered that their was an intermittent connection on the positive post of the battery. I'll have to clean and condition the posts again. This intermittent connection had the whole electrical system acting bizarre. Hell, what a waste of 3.5 hours. All's well that ends well.:beer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts