Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short.....

I lost my transmission 24 miles south at PINS on friday night around 8pm....

Took us all day Saturday (to get me unstuck/turned north again) and Sunday to repair broken U-bolts from the rear suspsension.

I was looking at $900 minimum to be towed out of there.

We have now got my BKO back to Corpus and are looking for someone to fix my transmission. Would any of you have any recommendations on who I should get to do the work? I am wanting to have them put in a new transmission!

Any suggestions at all? I may not even need a new transmission, but it won't go in reverse, and blew smoked to high hell, and had fluid boiling out of the bottom of the BKO when I hit 60mph coming back down the highway.

I'm even willing to buy a new transmission, and attempt to do it myself if possible :whiteflag

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You're positive it was the transmission smoking? Not coming from the exhaust or oil spewing onto the transmission case from the rear main seal?

If you lost reverse, then yes you need to get that replaced/repaired, but you need to be sure that's *all* that's wrong before you go put a new transmission on a torn and battered engine...

·
Registered
118 Posts
when my e40d went out the cheepest quality job i could find was for $1200 most wanted $1500-$2000 to fix it in the corpus area. so swaped in a manual tranny for around $600. i got some parts for a 4-speed swap leftover b/c i put in a five speed. there was a junk yard i think on weber that had a 90's f150 4x4 with an m5od that would sell me every thing i needed for around $700 that included flywheel, tranny, crossmembers, and pedal assymbly.but this was a year ago.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Ubermich

Honestly man I'm not sure. How do I tell, being pulled for about 5 miles after the tranny went poop, I had the engine running so I could keep the power steering going.

Here is what happened to make me think the transmission went poop.

I had increased the gas up past 45mph and proceeded to 60mph to see if I was going to have any power let off to make it over this bridge that we have that connects the island to the mainland. I had it running 60mp for about 20 seconds and then all of a sudden the tranny "disengaged" I guesse, and the RPM's were just going as if it was in neutral. Engine runs just fine though (or atleast sounds like it does)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Did you only lose tranny fluid, or did you lose oil too? Coolant levels good?

I would also swap to the manual, but that's only because I love manuals. Going downhill over serious terrain CAN be a greater PITA than it has to be with a manual -- fair warning.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Price: Auto Vs. Standard

Will I be looking at a much cheaper price of installing a new manual transmission instead of a new automatic transmission (if I need a new one?)

I'd have to check fluid levels tommorrow when we go back to get it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
WSentertainment.com said:
Will I be looking at a much cheaper price of installing a new manual transmission instead of a new automatic transmission (if I need a new one?)

I'd have to check fluid levels tommorrow when we go back to get it.

i found that it was. if you do a lot of hwy. driving look in to a m5od or the much stronger, harder to find for a small block with 4wd, and pricer zf. if you bko is a beach runner i have a t-18 and a t-19 out of one ton 4wd trucks. these things are praticaly undistructabale (sp) insanely low first, the t-18 has a 6.37:1 un syncro first and the t-19 has a 5.13:1 syncro first. if you are interrested in the 4-speeds let me know and we can work some thing out. i will let a bell housing tranny and intermediate housing go for cheeper than you can find it any where.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts