Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just messing around with my tailgate since my window is having a hard time making it up (binds in a spot).. and while I was thinking about what to do, I pressed down on the tailgate latches while it was down. They clicked down a level and are now closer to the rubber bump stop thing. Thing is, when I go to close it, it just bounces back because the latches are facing the wrong way. I did this to my mom's grand marquis without thinking about it too, wasnt sure how I eventually fixed it though. What should I do?? I have a np 435, 208, and hydro bellhousing with brand new clutch/ pressure plate plus my tools in the back. Really need to lock it up as soon as possible, since it's sitting in a campus parking lot. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Just lift up on the handle on the inside of the tailgate(just like you were going to open the tailgate while in the closed position), and it will release the latch as in the open position.

I always close those clasps to fool the TG safety switch into thinking the TG is closed so I can move the glass up and down with the gate down.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
(Edit: Street gang beat me to it)

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks guys. Worked great, also great tip about tricking the window to go up when the tailgate is down. Hope I don't find anything seriously wrong with the window drive mechanism.. Maybe just needs to be cleaned up a bit. Thanks again!

·
Registered
867 Posts
My rear window doesn’t go up smoothly ether.
What I have to do close the tailgate with my hands as close to the latch are as posible(arms spread wide) and push it close. As it seems the right side is not shutting all the way. Im just too lazy to adjust the striker latches.
Shutting it that way the window goes up smoothly

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
daverbmxer said:
Awesome, thanks guys. Worked great, also great tip about tricking the window to go up when the tailgate is down. Hope I don't find anything seriously wrong with the window drive mechanism.. Maybe just needs to be cleaned up a bit. Thanks again!
Use that method of tricking the safety so you could access the regulator and gears, by removing the access panel with the gate down and the glass up (just be sure to have something there to support the glass so it dont bust).
Once your in there, you can clean and lube the internals as necessary.
FWIW: I also hit the rubber seal between the top and the glass all along its run with spray silicone every oil change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts