Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on how to pass an emissions test. My 89 is failing the idle speed portion of the test. the guy at the emissions booth suggested i try the 85% ethanol gas. any other ideas? i have heard fingernail polish remover works.

·
Registered
531 Posts
he has the 5.8... but i am also interested in this as i will be taking this test soon...

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
quicksilver3602003 said:
he has the 5.8... but i am also interested in this as i will be taking this test soon...
:twak Yup, I see it now.

My bad.:toothless

Still need the test results thoe.

·
Registered
531 Posts
lol thats funny.

·
Registered
77 Posts
here's a trick... take your truck out and run it as hard as you can (full throttle runs to redline) for 15 to 20 minutes. Then pull into the testing station, don't shut it off. This will get the cat. conv. super hot and if all goes well, vaporize those emissions. seafoaming the engine would probably help depending on what your failing for...

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
wakeav8b said:
here's a trick... take your truck out and run it as hard as you can (full throttle runs to redline) for 15 to 20 minutes.
Yikes! Running redlines could cause you to float a valve, i don't do redlines in a truck with a lot of miles on it, especially for 15 to 20 minutes.

Your Cat is heated by the exhaust of your motor, technically a motor runs hotter at idle than it does when it's actually moving. No air flow through the radiator, hence the coolant isn't cooled.

MetalRex, when is the last time you have done basic maintenance on the truck. Tune-up, simple stuff. The results would definitely let us know where your failing at and what you need to do.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Wow, I've redlined/rev limited my truck a few times, well a lot but I wouldn't hold it there that's just stupid. I agree getting it hot will help but that's probably the worst suggestion I've ever heard for passing emissions

·
Registered
77 Posts
alright you misunderstood.

I meant running the truck up to redline while driving, and letting it shift. Not just holding it at redline :shocked . I did not mean to just sit there and run the truck at redline. I only meant drive it hard. Go out and run it hard and run it up to redline between stop lights ect. and yes, this can drastically reduce emissions if you get the cat hot enough.

automatic-just don't take your foot off the gas, if yours revs to high before shifting you have other issues
manual-well use common sense

its just a trick-you could actually fix what is wrong.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
dont know the test results. All i know is the thing does not pass at idle (to this day). I have done basic tune-up on this thing prior to the test. I have not driven the beast since may, 06 except for around the neighborhood once or twice a month to keep things from sitting. with the gas prices the way they were/are, and no desire to pay for emission repair, i didnt see any reason to do anything with it. I may be singing a different tune now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you are failing on high CO changed your oil, air filter and PVC valve.
For high HC's Tune er up good check for vaccum leaks and fix any that you find, and you can try lowering the timeing just a bit.
Vaccum leaks can cause high idle also, clean your IAC, or idle air passage, make sure your front butterfly is closeing all the way, they can get a build up and it will hold'em open causing high idle/rough idle.
Adjust your TC up a hair if your idle is not high enough, just mark it so you can put it back to where it was.
if you had actually gave the reasion it was failing at idle I may have been able to tell ya more, I was an IM certified Mech In Anchorage AK for 5 years and have performed lots of emmission test.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Without knowing what you failed for, and with all of the other advise given, the only other trick I have heard/seen was to retard your timing as much as possible. I, however, do not know what that is he remedy for. :shrug

Make sure you check for codes. Search for the how to. You could have codes even if your CEL is not on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts