Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this '86 Bko with a new 302 EFI. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now that it's inspection time, I've got some issues as I don't have a cat or air pump on it. It came like that. What else will I need to get back to a legal status other than a pump, O2 sensor and cat.

My current set up is exhaust manifolds going to pipes to mufflers.:twak

The state I live in is Texas. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Does your inspection include a visual check under the truck/hood?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Cant you just buy a sticker under the table. I know thats what all the kids do here in NJ......????

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
just get to know some one at the local inspection station very well and buy it under the table. thats how i got my 93 f350 deisel, 87 car carrier, and my 93 bronco inspected, just walked around and kicked the tires

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Had to do the same thing to my 86 four years back

Chances are good the huge cast iron air pump bracket is still there holding up your alternator. All you'll need for that is a new air pump from Cardone ($65 CDN) and a long bolt and small bracket from an 86 only F-150 or Bronco.

Next lay across your engine with you chest on the upper intake and feel behind the lower intake. You're feeling for the pipe that crosses between the heads and mounts the 4 way diverter valve in it's center, between the heads.

All that stuff was missing and broken on mine, so I spent $10 at a junkyard and scored it all off an 89 F-150 with an EFI'd 302.

Feel downward, from the diverter valve, for the connecting air pipe that'll go from there to the cat. Probably ain't there, but you can buy a cheap kit that will get you from the diverter valve to the nipple on the cat using copper tubing(@$12);

Lastly, one stop shopping for your replacement cat;

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28101&highlight=streetgang+catco

Streetgang hissef' pioneered the first install of this. When you consider what a shop will charge you to supply, cut and weld in another cat, it would cost less to buy this and bolt it on yersef'.

Good luck, mine never did pass the third part of test, but they was forced to give me a conditional pass each year until I became exempt forever (this year she's 20 years old!)

I'm thinking of celebrating by pouring a can of Seafoam into her 5 minutes before I pull into the parking lot to get my tags.

I'll leave her running while I go into get the tags and by the time I come out you won't be able to see across the parking lot !

I'll exclaim to the coughing, frowning NIMBYs and eco-nazis, with a tear in my eye; "I'm exempt, hallelujah, I'm exempt !"

Sixlitre

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sixlitre said:
Good luck, mine never did pass the third part of test, but they was forced to give me a conditional pass each year until I became exempt forever (this year she's 20 years old!)
Please explain the quote above. Are you saying that after 20 years, you don't need smog stuff anymore?

I'm going to go back with smog stuff no matter what, but the inspection was up 3 days ago. Just want to what I have to do for now to get it inspected.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
What are the emissions laws in your area. In Ga. there is no visual inspection (except to confirm there is a cat) as long as you pass clean it doesnt matter what emissions equipment you have.

My 86 pases better than my moms 96 Accord with nothing more than a cat and functional EGR (No smog pump, no thermactic system)

Your area should have a web sight like Ga. does. http://www.cleanairforce.com/

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
RPDDOC said:
Please explain the quote above. Are you saying that after 20 years, you don't need smog stuff anymore?

I'm going to go back with smog stuff no matter what, but the inspection was up 3 days ago. Just want to what I have to do for now to get it inspected.
Where I live we become exempt at 20 years

this means unless you're blatantly pi$$ing off some cop(and he suspects you've been deleting $h1t), you'll never have to darken the doors of an inspection station ever again.

If they don't have a visual inspection just get the cat and try your best.

Sixlitre

1 - 10 of 10 Posts