Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife got home this evening and found this sitting under the Bronco (passenger side)...

Had the bushings installed back in February.

Here is what they originally looked liked...

Here is the radius arm...

I have a suspicion, but would appreciate some insight from those with more experience on why the bushing failed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Because polyurethane does not have original properties of original OEM bushings made out of rubber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because polyurethane does not have original properties of original OEM bushings made out of rubber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ha! True that!!

Spitballing here, but looking at the bushing’s tail piece that was supposed to go into the nylon spacer, it seems to me to be cut deeply into the bushing at an angle... an angle suspiciously the same as the cone on the backside of the frame. My guess is the nylon spacer and bushing were reversed.

Driver’s side is in the correct order.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,050 Posts
Yeah, sounds good but I'm not a fan of the urethane bushings for the radius arms.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Wife got home this evening and found this sitting under the Bronco (passenger side)...

Had the bushings installed back in February.

Here is what they originally looked liked...

Here is the radius arm...

I have a suspicion, but would appreciate some insight from those with more experience on why the bushing failed.

Thanks!
Is the white piece in the pic above the spacer?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm... mystery deepens. It took a while to beat the nut off without an impact wrench. My initial theory was wrong. It appears everything was assembled in the correct order.

That raises the original question again. What would caused the bushing to fail in less than 3k miles? And the deep cone shaped gouge around where it sheered, just looks odd...

·
Registered
722 Posts
There’s a thread by another guy about the difference between radius arm bushing kits. Searching Moog’s site, there’s a K80006 that says it’s for 80-86. I think K80007 is for 87 up. He posted pictures of physical differences, the main one I remember being one bushing had a very large nose cone relative to its sister bushing in the other kit. No idea if this is related to your issue. Have you considered looking at the driver’s side bushing?

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,075 Posts
Hmmmm....I've never had an issue, and I have used them on various applications over the years, but, I do not run the white spacer with the urethane bushings .

Reactions: White Dragon

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There’s a thread by another guy about the difference between radius arm bushing kits. Searching Moog’s site, there’s a K80006 that says it’s for 80-86. I think K80007 is for 87 up. He posted pictures of physical differences, the main one I remember being one bushing had a very large nose cone relative to its sister bushing in the other kit. No idea if this is related to your issue. Have you considered looking at the driver’s side bushing?
Thanks @packagejr. Just double checked again, these are Energy Suspension 4.7110R which are listed for 1992-1996 Bronco’s.

Still searching for the thread you suggested. I did find this post from @jermil01 (What am I missing with these radius arm bushings?!) and that looks to be the same parts.

Haven’t pulled the driver side yet, but it looks a bit off center as well...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm....I've never had an issue, and I have used them on various applications over the years, but, I do not run the white spacer with the urethane bushings .

Thanks @cobrajoe. Do you skip the spacer when using OEM brackets as well?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Easy once you have the parts in hand. The new bushing set to 100 ft/lbs (Energy Suspension recommends factory spec. which is 80-120 ft/lbs):

...and here is the new bushing next to what's left of the one that failed:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Good fix.

Did you determine why the original bushing failed so soon after installation?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good fix.

Did you determine why the original bushing failed so soon after installation?
No, nothing looked strange going back together. Was hoping someone might have run into something similar before.

I’m going to give Energy Suspension a call during the week and see if they have any suggestions. Meanwhile I’ll keep an eye on it. At least I know it was installed and torqued correctly this time - plus I have a spare now.

Reactions: packagerjr

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is your truck lifted? Improper angle could cause it.
Stock ride height and still even running stock 31” tires... although that lift kit @cobrajoe was showing looked enticing, but that’s way down on the future list.

Good thought though and appreciate your chiming in.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got off the phone with Energy Suspension a few minutes ago...

First, a human being actually answered the phone. No IVR menu mess to go through.

Transferred, 1 ring and I'm talking with someone who actually knows what he's doing and not reading out of a manual - I mean intimately understands a twin-traction beam suspension and all of the parts.

He gave me a couple things to check (and how to do it!) and I've forwarded on all of the pictures for him to look at.

Great to know there are still companies out there that "get" customer service.

Will report back when I know more.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well... mystery continues. Got a call back. ES was unsure as well. From the pictures he said the stack looks good. Tolerances and compression appear OK. Apparently they often have problems with non-spec lift kits and aftermarket brackets and wether the spacer should be used or not. Shouldn't be a problem with original equipment though.

He did have me check to make sure the the radius arm bracket was still solidly mounted to the frame (it is). I still need to rig up a mirror or camera. The next step is to stand on the brakes, release and then back on the brakes again. That's should show if there is any unusual rotational or compression forces being put on the bushing, other than that he said to keep an checking on it and let them know. They seemed legit concerned.

He mentioned that it almost appeared the spacer was sliding against the bushing and that's what caused the failure. Struggling with that, but hard to diagnose with the truck in Virginia and ES in California (although he did say he'd make a house call if I were in Hawaii - LOL).

While I had it up on the jack stand, checked ball joints and steering/tie rods - all still seems tight. :dunno

Will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,050 Posts
Unfortunately, this is why I prefer OE type bushings for this. They are more forgiving. Oddly, they take all the abuse of the vehicle yet work well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts