Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know where i can get one for the bronco?

i have to leave my truck out on the driveway, and last winter here in NY it got insanely cold and there were a few mornings where the bronco had to crank like crazy to start.

if i get one - how do i use it? leave it plugged in all night?

is the install a pain?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
the one i have in the bronco "T"s into the radiator hose somewhere and when it gets cold i plug it in all night.
i dont know where it came from cuz it was in the truck when i got it.
i will snap some pics for ya in a little bit

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Any parts store will carry those. While you're at it, get a battery blanket too

edit - Change your oil too. If you don't want to deal with the install, get yourself an oilpan heater, and a coolant heater. The block heater you're asking about works just like an electric water heater - a heating element, making one loop, and a cord. It's installed, replacing the middle freeze plug on either(or both) side of the block. My bronco was decked out, because I live in Alaska when I bought it - two block heaters, battery blanet, oil pan heater, and a coolant tank heater. For cryin out loud, I never used one of em, so I tossed em all

When I did use heaters, on another vehicle I owned when we lived in Fairbanks, I'd use to plug it in as soon as I got home from work. But I learned to plug it in before I turned in for the night instead... because all those plugged in heaters pull alot of juice from the house. But it got so cold, that no matter how long I left my car plugged in, it wouldn't warm up enough to start. I almost bought a Webasto heater for it, but then it would have been twice the cost of the car!

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
they can either be plugged in all nite, or be connected to a timer that turns them on every 3-4 hours or so for 30-60 mins at a time. i've never seen a lock heater that hooks into the radiator hose though. only the ones that replace a freeze plug. you could also get an oil pan heater, if it gets cold enough to warrant it in your location.

·
Registered
787 Posts
A block heater on LI?? :lolup :lolup :lolup

I've lived on LI for 30 years, and never once did I ever see the need for one.

The most I've ever done to any of my cars in the winter was throw in a can of dry gas whenever we'd go through a really nasty cold spell, and that was more for "peace of mind" than anything else.

I say don't bother. It's not worth the hassle.

-Paul

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
aight. when i saw block heater, i immediately associated that w/ replacing the freeze plug.

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
after reading his post again, i believe you're right

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ValkariaKid said:
A block heater on LI?? :lolup :lolup :lolup

I've lived on LI for 30 years, and never once did I ever see the need for one.

-Paul
dude, i dont know what to tell you.

last winter the cold made for some hard starts in the morning

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
guidogabriele said:
dude, i dont know what to tell you.

last winter the cold made for some hard starts in the morning
so, it started hard a few times. my daily driver wont start if it gets below 20* and it wasnt plugged in.

my bronco has a block heater in the freeze plug, and my f250 also has one. never have used the bronco's one, no need to.

the block heater sucks some major juice form the house. just get a timer to turn it on about 2 hours beofre you leave in the morning.

i suspect your starting issues may be more related to faults in the injection system rather than temp.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
davids78bronco said:
trucker, the type of heater Cory is referring too is, what alaskans call, a tank heater.. ring a bell yet? They look like this -

yes that is what im talkin about. i have used it a few times last winter
this winter im not gonna use it untill i have to.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BadassBronco said:
so, it started hard a few times. my daily driver wont start if it gets below 20* and it wasnt plugged in.

my bronco has a block heater in the freeze plug, and my f250 also has one. never have used the bronco's one, no need to.

the block heater sucks some major juice form the house. just get a timer to turn it on about 2 hours beofre you leave in the morning.

i suspect your starting issues may be more related to faults in the injection system rather than temp.
hard start or not, i need it to start. its my daily driver.

since last winter ive replaced a lot of parts, including the battery, fuel pump, and distributor. maybe this winter will go better

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Ford Part Number D6A-Z6D008A , retails for about $30. Is on my list to install, as it is one of the only factory options my bronco did not come with. I am told it installs were one of the freeze plugs go. And I agree, why not give yourself every advantage against hard winter starts, this is the first winter mine wont be garage kept, so I may get it done sooner then later too. Good luck, and please do a write up with pictures

·
Only the Bronco
975 Posts
The tank style heater that you are talking about, is waht they call a circulating Block heater, it circulates coolant through your engine and through your heater core, by convection, my dad's 350 has one in it for the Propane, and I will say, it workes pretty good, kept the lower part of the windsheild defrosted on the frosty mornings

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
You block heater"experts" are funny:lolup If hes concerned about cold starts... why would anyone want to keep cold starting??? It is SO bad for your engine!

However the only time I would leave it plugged in all night is when it was below 20. I still dont see how popping out a plug and screwing in another and routing a 120 AC wire out the front of your truck is so hard.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well you said something in your first post that makes me wonder...

there were a few mornings where the bronco had to crank like crazy to start.
Now.. from that I take it as your engine had no problem cranking over, but took a while to start.

Is this correct?

The reason why I ask is because if that IS the case then I don't think a block heater will do anything for you at all (well indirectly it might).

To me that sounds like the gas just might be freezing up a bit.

The purpose of all the different styles of block heaters it to warm up the oil so that it doesn't inhibit the engine from cranking over.

It sounds like that's not your problem.

Now any kind of heater will raise the underhood temp a bit, and of course the engine. Maybe just enough to keep the gas from freezing in the fuel rail.

When I lived on LI I used my bronco as my daily driver as well, and averaged about 80 miles a day, and like I said earlier I threw in a litle dry gas every now and then. I never had a single problem because of the cold...EVER!
Oh yeah.. my broncos lived outside all year round as well.

BTW.. I used 10W-30 from Oct-Mar, and 10W-40 from Apr-Sep or thereabouts.

Adding an engine heater (whatever style you chose) isn't that big of a deal, but it's just not necessary.

Good Luck

-Paul

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
You block heater"experts" are funny:lolup If hes concerned about cold starts... why would anyone want to keep cold starting??? It is SO bad for your engine!
And you're all-knowing?

However the only time I would leave it plugged in all night is when it was below 20. I still dont see how popping out a plug and screwing in another and routing a 120 AC wire out the front of your truck is so hard.
You've never lived in 20 below winters, have you? Have you tried replacing a freeze plug, while the engine is still in the truck? it's not as easy as you think it is, nor is it as effecient as the tank-style heater is

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
However the only time I would leave it plugged in all night is when it was below 20. .
Hmm..? My Bronco has fired right up in 9 or 10 degree mornings. I'm sure the dual batts don't hurt.

My '96 351 came from a van with the freeze plug heater factory installed. Never used it tho, but our winters are mild compared to the East coast.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I just push a button on the key ring, it strats right up, I take a shower, and the truck isn't cold anymore. :shrug
I agree with KL the 2 batts help a little.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts