Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a 92 351W engine block and a 95 351W engine block are the same? Im asking because I know that throught the different years they have made sutble changes to every model and I am planning on doing an engine rebuild for my 92 with a 95 block.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
That has been my understanding as well but that isn't based on anything except that it seems like they would designate the engine differently if they changed something. It wouldn't be a 351w anymore, it'd be a 351x or whatever. Also, why make "subtle" changes and have to modify your manufacturing process for a change that probably makes little to no difference.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
:stupid The F4TE was the last revision of the 5.8L block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For instance the alternator on my 92 is a different bolt up than my 94. As for roller lifters the local Ford dealer here in Miami said that from 92 up to 96 they all came roller. I will find out exactly what the deal is when I take it out and compare external and internal parts. Thanks for the feed back guys. When Im done Ill post up what I found out on the 2 blocks.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The alt mount up is a factor of the brackets, not the motor. Just use the brackets for the truck you have. As for the block a 92 is not a roller motor. 94+ the 5.8's were. The dealer you talked to might be thinking of the 5.0 motors. Eather way, your probably better off with the 95 block. The roller cams are nice to have!

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
For instance the alternator on my 92 is a different bolt up than my 94. As for roller lifters the local Ford dealer here in Miami said that from 92 up to 96 they all came roller. I will find out exactly what the deal is when I take it out and compare external and internal parts. Thanks for the feed back guys. When Im done Ill post up what I found out on the 2 blocks.
the alternator mounting did change, but that has nothing to do with the engine block.

roller block 351w/5.8L first appear in the 94 model year and ran thru 97. I don't think ford produced any more 351w blocks after that, i could be wrong thou.

a 92 351w will not be roller ready from the factory, the 95 will. it *may* have a roller cam and lifters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know the alternator bracket wont make a difference in either motor. I was only making a point that Ford made sutble changes in each year and I thought they may have made one with the blocks. The only thing I can think is that maybe certain senros might look different from year to year.
Yes bossind, roller started in 94 to 97. If I remember correctly the
351W's final days were in 97. They did extend the 96 body style into 97 as a special edition. Anyway Ill post the results when Im done.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
They did extend the 96 body style into 97 as a special edition.
only in f350s and up. Maybe some 250s as well. Wasn't a "special edition" thou

97-98 were odd years for f250s+ IIRC ford never sold a 98 f350, they just sold the 97s(old body style) late and started selling the super dutys early. I could be wrong on that thou.

Then you have the new bodystyle "light duty" f250s that were modeled from the new 150s started in 97. I don't know what ford was thinkin those few years

1 - 11 of 11 Posts